Rayzor

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You got it, sammy!

Ry Cooder is sixty years old, but still breathing as far as I know.

[smallest]from wikipedia[/smallest]:

He was a guest session guitarist on various recording sessions with the Rolling Stones in 1968 and 1969, and Cooder's contributions appear on the Stones' Let It Bleed (mandolin on Love in Vain), and Sticky Fingers, on which he contributed the slide guitar to Sister Morphine. During this period, Cooder joined with Mick Jagger, Charlie Watts, Bill Wyman, and longtime Rolling Stones sideman Nicky Hopkins to record Jamming with Edward. Shortly after the sessions, Cooder accused Keith Richards of musical plagiarism, but has since refused to comment on his accusations. Cooder also played slide guitar for the 1970 movie, Performance, which contained Mick Jagger's first solo single, Memo from Turner on which Cooder played slide guitar. The 1975 Rolling Stones compilation album Metamorphosis features an uncredited Cooder on Bill Wyman's Downtown Suzie, which is also the first Rolling Stones song played and recorded in the open G tuning.

[smallest] from sherwoodocc.blogspot (poster Tom)[/smallest]:

"Cooder has claimed that Keith Richards pinched his signature guitar tuning, and based subsequent Stones albums around his sound, although the Keef countered that Cooder himself learned various tunings and techniques from the likes of Rev Gary Davis and was therefore hardly in a position to claim originality."

[smallest]and from alternatemusicpress.com[/smallest]:

He taught Keith Richards to play slide, and the open G tuning favored by John Lee Hooker. Richards once said, "I took Ry Cooder for everything I could get," a compliment that may explain the fact that the money lick in Honky Tonk Women is pure Cooder-by-way-of-Hooker.