What grinds your gears then?

Henry David

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

not really... it's the economy and business admin majors that get the big bucks and let math majors and computer science guys do all the work

Computer science guys ???? With a math degree you should be designing rockets or plotting the course to distant galaxies. That's where the money is, man. Either that or develop designer drugs for today's athletes.

^ I had a Vietnamese (or Singapurian or some other South East Asian country) professor where I had the same problem :grin:

and ^^Joe: I'm just reading a book where a mathematician is disgusted that he did groundbreaking mathematical work but only gets recognised because he did some insignificant astronomical stuff ("so you're the famous astronom?" - "I'm a mathematician, dammit!"),

and now he has to do land surveying to make a living ;)

I had an Austrian professor last year, and while health psychology would never have been my favourite subject anyway, that really thick accent of his really didn't help matters. (I feel obligated to apologise to Martin... that's only ever happened to me with older Austrian/German people :P )

Strangely enough I'm not all that creative either but I'm quite good at arts and languages :P

I´m very good at arts and languages... in fact, it´s my profession... (spelling? :grin: )

I suck at maths... I like some science... it doesn´t like me.

Why does every country besides the U.S. call mathematics "maths" - plural?

like you just did? :grin: I dunno, I guess I learned it that way or heard and remembered it like that...

in German it's all singular: "Mathematik" or "Mathe" (this "th" pronounced like "t") :)

I just got a hemorrhoid last night :beady:

What the hell is up with that?!! I don't eat stupid stuff, lift more than I should nor perform unnatural straining rituals in the bathroom.

I've been 60 for less than a blooming week and now this! I don't know if I can enjoy my "golden years" if this crap is gonna pop up from nowhere with any degree of frequency.

I may be old and worn, but I'm mad!

I just got a hemorrhoid last night :beady:

What the hell is up with that?!! I don't eat stupid stuff, lift more than I should nor perform unnatural straining rituals in the bathroom.

I've been 60 for less than a blooming week and now this! I don't know if I can enjoy my "golden years" if this crap is gonna pop up from nowhere with any degree of frequency.

I may be old and worn, but I'm mad!

Careful Ron. That kind of stress can cause hemorrhoids.

Why does every country besides the U.S. call mathematics "maths" - plural? We just say "math." What's the difference? I'm not even trying to be a smart a** here, I'm sincerely curious.

Good question. In France it´s "mathématiques"... in Spanish it´s plural too.

I believe it must be the whole group of mathematic operations and whatever you call them. Additions, substractions, algebra, etc...