8-Track Players

MindCrime

I recently was handed an 8-track player, to borrow for a while, that I had originally used as a kid, along with some of my old favorites

Tokens ~ The Mighty Jungle (Lion Sleeps Tonight)

Harry Belafonte ~ Jump in the Line

Monkees Greatest Hits

etc etc

Problem is, I can't get one of the 8-tracks to eject out of the player! I've tried using a fork, peanut butter, & even jiggling it around consistantly.

Is there any songfactor(s) old enough, to remember how to properly eject an 8-track ?

I'd really like to hear my old childhood faves again :headphones:

If you can take apart the player, you may be able to see if the tape is stuck. I did that a couple of times with one I had back in the day, usually the tape was wrapped around something. I would try not to break it, sometimes I did though. I so don't miss 8-tracks, changing tracks right in the middle of a song!! Grrrr!!

Mc, once it's stuck I think it's stuck. The tape is probably done for. Unless it's one that you really want, I'd just rip it out. I remember a lot of that, and I am old enough! It seems that even if you take it apart the actual tape is almost impossible to keep intact and usable.

Thanks for the site info CrazyDon; I was beginning to think I was the only person who still listens to 8-tracks / vinyl. Ceecee, I remember being able to repair the tape inside, if it got stuck, but it was a task that takes a few hours.

So my son comes home from his grandparents house last night and says, "Hey Dad, I learned how to play the 8 track player at Nana and Papa's house". He'll be 17 this Sunday. I replied, I thought you just pushed it in and it played. He said that was right, he had just never done it before....don't throw away those 8 Tracks yet!

...and rightly so ! There's no good reason , other than nostalgia , to keep one around : " Hit the road , 8-track , and don't ya come back no more ! "

( Scotch tape should repair any breaks , well enough , and fairly quickly . Just line up the tape , and wrap a small piece around it . Keep it thin , though - meaning don't wrap a long piece around the break many times- just once or 1.5 times )

Edited by Guest

What the hell is an 8-track player? Is that the thing where you press the hammer on top to change the tracks? Those were great! We'd get fried up and we'd put them on the train tracks and they'd break into a million pieces. It was awesome! Then we'd just go buy another one for seven bucks and listen to more Stones and The Who.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: