The Case Against Random

TheTallOne

This has been on my mind lately. "Random Lyrics" has 59 pages of so called "random" lyrics, yet I would like to argue none of these are actually random. I believe most would agree that a simple definition of the word random is "for no specific reason." However, although the order of the lyrics in that thread is random, each and every song on there had a reason for being chosen. There is the argument that random means that the nest post has nothing to do with the one before, but I think that the title of the thread insinuates the lyrics are posted totally randomly, as if picked out of the blue. Feel free to discuss.

I think that while possibly/certainly everyone posting lyrics has a reason to do so (even if it might be "I just thouhgt of this song and wanted to share with my fellow SF'ers"), but if you look at the thread as a whole, the lyrics are very random.

Anyway it's just a thread to post lyrics, do you want to have the title changed? :confused:

No offense, but I think you should try to find something interesting to occupy your time this summer.

I have a lot of free time and really nothing better to do. But are you any better for responding (you probably are, but I'm just saying).

Edited by Guest

There is the argument that random means that the next post has nothing to do with the one before, but I think that the title of the thread insinuates the lyrics are posted totally randomly, as if picked out of the blue. Feel free to discuss.

Didn't we go through this already, TallOne? I can only speak for myself, but the lyrics I post are picked out of the blue. One of the voices in my head might start singing a song and I feel compelled to post the lyrics. It's not premeditated; therefore, it's random.

I am absolutely fascinated as to why this bothers you so much, sugar. Please enlighten me.

Bah! Of course I'm better! I'm better than everyone!

I was just kidding, this time of summer can get boring. Let me guess, all your friends are on vacation, and you've got nothing to do. You're thinking about this because you've already had long sessions of thinking about why squirrels like nuts so much, and if everyone besides yourself is just a robot, and this world is some sort of strange experiment set up by the Creator of the Universe. But it's hard to think about that kind of stuff when your mom keeps saying "why don't you call (insert name of person you haven't talked to in years here)?" "Can you mow the lawn?"

I know this from personal experience.

Totally. I've decided that squirrels have a love of nuts engrained into their mind before they can think for themselves. They just eat what their parents ate, and that's nuts. They could think for themselves, but what if they eat the wrong thing? They could die! What price would you pay to free yourself from nuts?

Also, the robot thing wasn't my original thought, it was from the book "Breakfast of Champions" by Kurt Vonnegut. You should read it sometime, it's excellent. Definitely one of the top satires I've ever read.