McCartney and wife to separate

Mike

LONDON, England (CNN) -- Former Beatle Paul McCartney and his wife, Heather Mills McCartney, have announced that they are separating after four years of marriage.

A joint statement issued on behalf of the couple Wednesday, blamed media attention for the split,

"Having tried exceptionally hard to make our relationship work given the daily pressures surrounding us, it is with sadness that we have decided to go our separate ways," it said.

"Our parting is amicable and both of us still care about each other very much but have found it increasingly difficult to maintain a normal relationship with constant intrusion into our private lives, and we have actively tried to protect the privacy of our child," the joint statement said.

The couple have a two-year-old daughter, Beatrice Milly.

"Separation for any couple is difficult enough, but to have to go through this so publicly, especially with a small daughter, is immensely stressful.

"We hope, for the sake of our baby daughter, that we will be given some space and time to get through this difficult period."

McCartney, 63, and anti-landmines campaigner Mills, 38, married in 2002, four years after the pop legend's first wife Linda died from cancer.

McCartney, who was knighted by the British queen in 1997, is one of the world's richest rock stars, with a personal fortune put at $1.4 billion in 2004.

The Liverpool-born musician and songwriter made his name with the Beatles, alongside John Lennon, Ringo Starr and George Harrison, penning classics such as "Yesterday," "Hey Jude" and "The Long and Winding Road."

His 1969 marriage to his first wife, photographer Linda Eastman, was seen as one of the most successful in show business. The couple performed together in the band "Wings" and famously spent only a handful of days apart.

He married Mills, a former model who had her left leg amputated below the knee after she was hit by a motorcycle in 1993, in a lavish ceremony at an Irish castle.

McCartney's second marriage is widely reported to have caused friction with his children from his first marriage, who include fashion designer daughter Stella.

source

i know what you mean, april. he was a very faithful and loving husband to linda, from what i can tell. it is sad that this relationship didn't work out. and heather has had a tough time in her life too. not to mention the little two-year baby. i hope they'll be able to get along for her sake.

From what I can tell...knowing some insiders...it's basically because she is a gold digging barm pot psychopath and he is an idiot geriatric with more money than sense who was seduced by the temptation of a comely monoped...but hey, Whadda I know?

:crazy:

Edited by Guest

More:

Heather Mills-Mccartney Slams 'Gold Digger' Claims

Paul McCartney says his wife didn't marry him for money. They announced their split Wednesday.

Charity campaigner Heather Mills-McCartney has lashed out over claims she married Paul McCartney for his vast fortune in her new self-help book "Life Balance."

The Beatles rocker, 63, and former model, 38, announced their split Wednesday after nearly four years of marriage and having daughter, Beatrice, together.

Since she began dating the veteran musician in 1999, Mills-McCartney has been portrayed as a gold-digging liar by some in the media, much to the chagrin of the couple.

McCartney published a statement on his website Wednesday, saying, "It's been suggested that she married me for the money and there is not an ounce of truth in this.

"She is a very generous person who spends most of her time trying to help others in greater need than herself."

McCartney's sentiments are echoed in Mills-McCartney's book, which hits stores next week.

She writes, "They (the media) made me out to be a gold digger and I decided to keep my mouth shut and say nothing.

"Looking back, that was a mistake. That period turned out to be the darkest and most difficult in my life - worse even than losing my leg."

Mills-McCartney lost her left leg in a road accident in Kensington, London, in 1993.

Copyright World Entertainment News Network 2006

Heather's Grabby Road

Let it be ... Macca and Heather go separate ways.

HEATHER Mills could take Sir Paul McCartney for up to £400MILLION after he ended their four-year marriage yesterday.

The former model is in line for a mega payout after Macca decided he was “sick and tired†of her trying to control his life.

Anguished Sir Paul told pals he could take no more of his wife’s constant NAGGING — and ruled “enough is enoughâ€.

He is also said to have been fed-up with being blamed for the breakdown of their relationship.

The couple — who have daughter Beatrice, two — have been living apart for three weeks. But their marriage has secretly been in crisis for months.

Heather’s settlement could be the biggest in British divorce history.

A top lawyer last night said she could get half Sir Paul’s £800million fortune from classic albums like Abbey Road because there was NO pre-nuptial agreement.

Unlike in America, the deals are not legally binding in the UK — but there ARE a number of precedents in English courts in which a pre-nup was counted as a major factor.

Martin Loxley, head of family law at Irwin Mitchell, said: “Sir Paul’s decision not to have a pre-nup may end in him handing over half.â€

But the ex-Beatle — who refused to sign the agreement that would have preserved his fortune before they wed — yesterday insisted Heather was not a gold digger.

He said on his website: “It’s been suggested that she married me for the money and there is not an ounce of truth in this.

“She is a very generous person who spends most of her time trying to help others in greater need than herself. All the work she does is unpaid so these stories are ridiculous and completely unfounded.â€

The couple announced the split yesterday in a dignified and carefully-worded statement that spoke of an amicable parting.

It said: “Having tried exceptionally hard to make our relationship work given the daily pressures surrounding us, it is with sadness that we have decided to go our separate ways.â€

But sources close to Heather last night said she is privately devastated at Macca’s decision.

The disability and anti-fur campaigner — who lost part of a leg when hit by a police motorbike — never believed her once-besotted husband would call it a day. Last night Sir Paul was at a secret location after leaving his estate at Peasmarsh, Sussex, by helicopter at the weekend.

Heather, 38, was being comforted by her sister, Fiona, at the couple’s home in Hove. One source revealed: “Heather was still begging Paul for another chance this weekend.

“She turned up at Peasmarsh on Sunday hoping to talk him round. But he wasn’t there.†The source added: “Heather and Paul have been at loggerheads for months.

“She was always telling him he was the problem — and that it was up to him to sort it out.

“Eventually he said ‘enough is enough’ and told her that was it.â€

Neither has yet consulted lawyers about a divorce. Despite talk of an amicable split, other sources have revealed the full truth of a “turbulent†relationship.

During Paul’s tour of America last year witnesses told how the couple had so many bust-ups they often stayed at different hotels.

One source said: “Heather and Paul were constantly at each other’s throats. It was amazing how much she used to nag at him. He was frightened to put a foot wrong half the time.

“She would tell him how to handle the press, how to run his office, it was incredible.

“They ended up having so many rows they had to stay in separate hotels sometimes.†Sir Paul broke the news of the split to fashion designer daughter Stella, 34, at the weekend. She has always hated Heather — who wed Sir Paul four years after her mum Linda died of cancer aged 56.

Stella told her dad this weekend: “I’m not going to say I told you so, and I don’t care how much it costs. I don’t blame you — I’m just glad its over.â€

Sir Paul and Heather met just a year after American-born Linda passed away.

And they married in 2002 in a lavish ceremony at Castle Leslie in Co Monaghan, Ireland.

Macca’s photographer brother Mike, who was at the wedding, said last night: “Only they will know what is the best course and they will decide that in their own time. Whatever happens I will support our kid. I just want him to be happy.â€

The split statement was on Sir Paul’s website. But fans were banned from discussing it in the chatroom. Instead a thread was set up on the forum for them to send “best wishes†to the couple.

Heather’s website made no mention of the separation. Her main news section ran a plug for her new self-help book, out next week.

The couple’s statement attacked media intrusion during their marriage. But before marrying Sir Paul, Heather regularly used the media as a mouthpiece. And she has made hundreds of thousands of pounds from selling her life story.

THE marriage was doomed from the start because Macca is too NICE, a friend of Heather claimed yesterday.

The pal said the ex-model has always preferred men who treat her badly.

And Heather backed up the thought in letters she wrote to her friend as a teenager after she moved to London from her native Washington, Tyne and Wear.

In one she said: “I’ve been out with loads of lads who treat me great but I prefer the ones that p*** me around cos it exciting cos you know you haven’t got them.â€

Heather also urged the pal to cheat on her partner with a bit on the side.VICTORIA NEWTON and ANTONELLA LAZZERI

Why shouldn't she get 400 million pounds? Look at all she's done to help him make his fortune.

As for her charitable generosity of working without compensation (one only has to consider how many people WEREN'T killed by landmines last year to understand how effective her campaigning,) she'll get her payday now.