The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten Facts

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten Power Ballads

This week there are 3 (three) songs needing facts.

1. Flame, The - Cheap Trick (1988)

2. Alone Again - Dokken (1984)

3. Every Rose Has It's Thorn - Poison (1988)

If you have any info on any of the songs mentioned anywhere in this thread, please feel free to post your knowledge here. Submissions on songs will be collated and sent to the main site and you will receive credit for your contribution.

As always the Songfish thanks you

:guitar: :drummer: :rock:

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Alone Again"

Dokken

Written by Don Dokken and Jeff Pilson.

A track of their second album, "Tooth&Nail", released in September 13, 1984.

Produced by Roy Thomas Baker.

Also released as a single, it would become the band's biggest hit.

> Peaked at #20 on the U.S. Billboard Top Rock Tracks chart (now known as the Mainstream Rock Tracks chart) in 1985.

> Peaked at # 64 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart in 1985.

it is about a man who is going through depression after a break-up and is based on a previous relationship by Don Dokken.

More significantly, the melodic song of heartbreak was aided by strong rotation that spring and summer at MTV and gave the band their first and biggest hit on the Hot 100

Edna,

There are two fact pages for that song.

There is the Miley Cyrus cover version that you found:

"Every Rose Has It's Thorn" - Miley Cyrus

and there is also a page for the original Poison song.

"Every Rose Has Its Thorn - Poison

The song title for Poison does not have an apostrophe in the word "Its".

The song title for the Cyrus's cover version has an apostrophe in the word "It's".

If you search for the song, spelled either way in the search box, and choose "song" in the drop-down menu, only one of the songs show up, depending on whether you typed in the apostrophe or not.

If you search for the song in the search box and choose "everything" in the drop-down menu, then both songs will come up.

Grammatically speaking, in the case of this song, "Its" should not have an apostrophe in it because the word is not used as a contraction for the words, "it is" or "it has".

Although an apostrophe is also used when showing possession, in the case of this song, "It" is a possessive pronoun and an apostrophe should never be used with possessive pronouns. They already show possession so they do not require an apostrophe.

The songfact page title for Cyrus's version needs to be corrected by having the apostrophe removed.

Oh, I see, thank you, Brad! :)

I checked under "song". It seems I copied&pasted so the search went: NO.

Then I saw Kenne's post, I checked again and saw only the cover page.

Next time I'll check under "everything" ;)

Thank you!! (yes, I know about the "its" and the apostrophe thing and the possessive pronoun, etc... ;) )

• 3 weeks later...

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten New Songs of 2011

This week there are 2 (two) songs needing facts.

1. You Really Got Me - Ray Davies w/ Metallica

2. Money Grabber - Fitz & the Tantrums

If you have any info on any of the songs mentioned anywhere in this thread, please feel free to post your knowledge here. Submissions on songs will be collated and sent to the main site and you will receive credit for your contribution.

In fact, we do have facts for "You Really Got ME" by The Kinks but not with Metallica.

Edited by Guest

"You Really Got Me"

Ray Davies & Metallica

Songfacts for "You Really Got Me" - The Kinks

Released in Novemeber 1st 2010 in the UK as a track of "See My Friends", a compilation album of Ray Davies performing his songs with other artists.

With Metallica, he recorded "You Really Got Me".

It was released in 2011 in the US.

Recorded in New York, Oslo and London.

"This project came about almost by accident, with some tracks I had to appreciate the style of the other artists, otherwise it would have sounded unbalanced. And I wanted the album to work as an entire listening experience but each track had a life of its own."
Edited by Guest

"Money Grabber"

Fitz & the Tantrums

Written by Michael Fitzpatrick and Chris Seefried.

A track of their debut studio album, "Picking Up The Pieces", released in August 2010.

Also released as a single in 2011. It went up to #33 in the Rock Charts and #34 in the Adult Charts.

The song (as the whole album) was recorded in Fitzpatrick's living room: they couldn't afford a studio.

"We didn't soundproof the room, instead desiring to just go with it, which produced a sense of familiarity. It let us have this more family, laid-back approach, and to be able to really take the time to do what we wanted in the way that we wanted"

On January 12, 2011, Fitz and The Tantrums performed the songs "MoneyGrabber" and "Don't Gotta Work It Out" on ABC's Jimmy Kimmel Live in Los Angeles. On February 28, 2011, they performed "MoneyGrabber" on TBS' Conan and on April 5, 2011, on NBC's The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. In 2010, the band's music video for the song "MoneyGrabber" was incorporated into the opening scene of a sixth season episode of the CBS crime-drama Criminal Minds entitled "Safe Haven"

...it was featured in the "How 'bout that?" segment of the April 23, 2011 episode of "This Week in Baseball", and was featured in the first episode of 24/7 Flyers/Rangers: Road to the NHL Winter Classic in the Flyers' clubhouse.

Edited by Guest

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #276

1. New York Groove - Hello (1975)

2. Get Out Of Denver - Bob Seger (1974)

3. Sittin' on a Fence - The Rolling Stones (1966)

"New York Groove"

Hello

Facts from "New York Groove" - Ace Frehley- Songfacts

Wtitten by Russ Ballard.

A track of Hello's debut album, "Keeps Us Off The Streets", released in 1975.

Also released as a single, it reached #1 in the German charts and it made the Top ten in the UK.

This version of the song is featured in the video game Grand Theft Auto IV on the in-game radio station Liberty Rock Radio.

Hello was a British Glam Rock band and this song was their biggest hit.

" Get Out Of Denver"

Bob Seger

Written by Bob Seger.

A track from his 1974 album, "Seven", his 7th album.

Recorded in 1973 in Nashville and released in march 1974.

It was the first time The Silver Bullet Band played with him.

Also a single that went to #80 in the Pop Singles charts.

:help: :help:

"Sittin' on a Fence"

The Rolling Stones

Written by Jagger/Richards.

It was recorded during the "Aftermath" sessions in December 1965. It was an outtake, so it was first released in the US in 1966, as a track of "Flowers", a compilation album.

The acoustic guitars are played by Keith Richards and Brian Jones, who also plays harpsichord and percussion.

It was released later on in the UK in 1969, in the Greatest Hits LP, "Through the Past, Darkly (Big Hits Vol. 2)", and in 1972 in another compilation, "More Hot Rocks (Big Hits & Fazed Cookies)".

It was never released as a single.

Actually, the first version of the song to be released was the debut single of the duo Twice as Much, in May 1966. The Rolling Stones decided to give them the song and it made the Top 40 in the UK.

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #277

1. Break It To Me Gently - Brenda Lee (1961)

2. Fire Woman - The Cult (1989)

3. Thunder and Lightning - Chi Coltrane (1972)

"Fire Woman" - The Cult :rockon:

The first single released from their 1989 album, Sonic Temple.

The single is their highest charting hit in the U.S., peaking at #2 on the Billboard Modern Rock tracks chart, #4 on the Billboard Album Rock Tracks chart (now known as the Mainstream Rock Tracks chart) and #46 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in 1989.

The album, Sonic Temple, peaked at #10 on the U.S. Billboard 200 chart in 1989, spending 33 weeks on the chart.

The single also peaked at #15 on the UK Singles chart.

"Break It To Me Gently"

Brenda Lee

Music by Joe Seneca/lyrics by Diane Lampert

Recorded in Nashville on August 31st, 1961.

Produced by Owen Bradley.

The single was released by December 1961 and made #4 on Billboard in January next year. It also reached number 46 on the UK Singles Chart.

It was included in her 1962 LP "Let Me Sing", though the single was released one year before the album.

Brenda Lee was 16 when she recorded the song.

...impressive blend of adult pop (though Lee was still a teenager) and country in both the songwriting and arrangement. There were enough crossovers with arrangements used for pop-rock ballads of the time, however, that it had no trouble getting pop sales and airplay. Like numerous Lee songs, it dealt with the painful end of a love affair, one in which she was being let down and not doing the breaking off herself. There was a sense of chin-up forbearance, for actually the melody and the delivery weren't all that sad and anguished, as if Lee was trying to be as upbeat as possible under the circumstances and draw out all the embers of the affair in order to delay the inevitable crushing heartbreak... Other highlights were the curling responsive violin riffs at key points in the bridge, and how Lee drew out the words "love again" in the refrain.

...tasteful orchestration and choral backup by the Anita Kerr Singers heavily color the arrangement, key contributors to the track's majestic even-handedness were the rolling piano of Floyd Cramer, the rollicking bass of Bob Moore, and the steady beat of drummer Buddy Harman.
Edited by Guest

" Thunder and Lightning"

Chi Coltrane

Written by Chi Coltrane.

The single was released in May 1972.

It made #17 on Billboard Hot 100 chart in August and #12 on CashBox.

It aldo went up to #18 in Canada and #4 in Germany.

The song was also a track of her debut album, "Chi Coltrane".

She started her career as a performer in clubs in Chicago; she was the guest star of the US at the International Rock Festival in Rio de Janeiro in 1971. When she came back to America she was signed to CBS by Clive Davis.

Charles Donovan (allmusic) calls it "an absolute white soul gem" and says Chi Coltrane is "a prodigious pianist, a skilled composer, a fine vocalist... her style - a sort of ultra-sophisticated take on Carole King and Elton John - ...perfect for the times"

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #278

This week there is 1 (one) song needing facts.

1. Soul Shake - Delaney & Bonnie (1970)

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #279

This week there is 5 (five) songs needing facts.

1. You're Sixteen - Johnny Burnette (1960)

2. Just You 'N' Me - Chicago (1973)

3. Chicken Train - Ozark Mountain Daredevils (1973)

4. Ride The Tiger - Jefferson Starship (1974)

5. You Got To Lose - George Thorogood (1977)

"You're Sixteen" is a song written by the Sherman Brothers (Robert B. Sherman and Richard M. Sherman). It was first performed by American rockabilly singer Johnny Burnette, whose version peaked at number eight on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 in December 1960.

In January 1974, a cover version by British musician Ringo Starr hit number one. The latter performance reunited Ringo Starr with his former Beatles bandmate Paul McCartney. McCartney is credited on the liner notes of the album Ringo as having played the instrumental solo on a kazoo. Starr's version remains one of the few #1 singles to feature a kazoo solo. Harry Nilsson sang backing vocals on Starr's version.

The original 1960 version of "You're Sixteen" by Johnny Burnette is featured prominently on the 1973 motion picture soundtrack of the film American Graffiti.

The 1978 video of Starr's version features Carrie Fisher as Ringo's love interest. At approximately 40 seconds into the video, a very Princess Leia-esque Fisher floats into Ringo's window.

WIKI

Soul Shake

written by Delaney and Bonnie

Lyrics by Margaret Lewis and Myrna Smith

Debut: August 1970

#43 on THe Top 100

A funky dance groove highlights this Stax-inspired cut, which was one of the highlights of the To Bonnie From Delaney album. The song stays on a tight, mid-tempo groove throughout, accompanied by some typically fun and irreverent lyrics. It's made even better by slide guitar maestro Duane Allman's exquisite solo.

All music

"Just You 'N' Me"

Chicago

Written by James Pankow after a fight with his girlfriend, Karen.

It's a track from their album Chicago VI, released in September 1973.

Also released as a single in September, same year. the B-side was "Critic's Choice". It was the second single from the Lp and it went up to #4 on the Billboard Chart.

Lead vocals are sung by Peter Cetera.

"We had a disagreement, and rather than put my fist through the wall or get crazy or get nuclear, I went out to the piano, and this song just kind of poured out. We wound up getting married shortly thereafter, and the lead sheet of that song was the announcement for the wedding, with our picture