The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten Facts

"Do It Again"

The Kinks

It made #41 on the Singles Charts in the US.

With so many charts in the U.S., it's best to clarify the exact chart.

The U.S. chart that this song peaked at #41 is Billboard Hot 100 chart.

The song also peaked at #4 on the U.S. Billboard Top Rock Tracks chart (now known as Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks chart) in 1984.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"It's All Right"

The Impressions

Written by Curtis Mayfield.

The opening track for their first album, "The Impressions", released in August 1963.

The single was also released in 1963, the sixth and last single from the album.

It made #1 on the U.S. Billboard Hot R&B Sides and #4 in the U.S. Billboard Hot 100.

Edited by Guest

"First I Look At The Purse"

The Contours

Written by Smokey Robinson and Bobby Rogers.

Released in 1965 with "Searching For A Girl" as the B-side, the single made #12 at the Top 20 on Billboard's R&B chart. It also reached #57 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Bobby Rogers did the falsetto spoken-word intro, "what does every man look at first?", and then the Contours took it from there, chanting about those virtues: "The eyes", "the nose", "the size" , "the clothes", "the hair", "the legs", "the waistline", etc. Then Contours lead singer Billy Gordon (who sang lead on the group's biggest hit "Do You Love Me"), snaps you back to reality, yelling "I don't care" ("if her eyes are red, if her nose is long, if she's underfed, why waste time looking at the waistline?") as well as "I don't care if she waddles like a duck", because "first I look at the purse".

"Shakin" - Eddie Money

Peaked at #63 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart in 1982.

Peaked at #9 on the U.S. Billboard Top Tracks chart (now known as the Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks chart) in 1982.

Thank you, Brad!! :thumbsup:

Written by Eddie Money, Elizabeth Myers and Ralph Carter.

Released as a single in 1982 with "My Friends, My Friends" as the B-side.

Also a track of his 1982 album "No Control".

Apollonia (Prince) appears on the video.

Edited by Guest

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #296

This week there is 2 (two) songs needing facts.

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #296

1. Lady Blue - Leon Russell

2. True - Spandau Ballet

If you have any info on any of the songs mentioned anywhere in this thread, please feel free to post your knowledge here. Submissions on songs will be collated and sent to the main site and you will receive credit for your contribution.

As always the Songfish thanks you

:guitar: :drummer: :rock:

Lady Blue

Leon Russell

Featured on the album "Will o' The Wisp", it went to #14 on the US Hot 100 chart in 1975. It's considered a "musical cousin" of his prior hit "This Masquerade". The song's themes of love and commitment have made it a popular choice to be sung at weddings.

Info taken from Wikipedia and AllMusic

True

Spandau Ballet

Found on the album of the same name, it peaked at #4 on the Hot 100 and #1 on the UK Singles chart in 1983. Written by Gary Kemp, it pays tribute to Marvin Gaye and the sound he helped to create at Motown Records. The band was previously known for dance music, but this ballad is their biggest hit. It was featured in the 1984 film, Sixteen Candles.

Info taken from Wikipedia and AllMusic

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #298

This week there is 2 (two) songs needing facts.

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #298

1. Shake, Rattle and Roll - Bill Haley and the Comets (1954)

2. Still of the Night - Whitesnake (1987)

If you have any info on any of the songs mentioned anywhere in this thread, please feel free to post your knowledge here. Submissions on songs will be collated and sent to the main site and you will receive credit for your contribution.

The Still Of The Night - Whitesnake

It reached #16 in the U.K.,[1] #18 on the U.S. Mainstream Rock Tracks and #79 on the Billboard Hot 100[2] when it was released on March 9, 1987.

In 2009, in an interview with Metal Hammer, Coverdale commented on the origins of the song:

"When my mother died I was going through the stuff at her house and found some early demo cassettes. One of them was a song that Ritchie Blackmore and I had been working on which was the basic premise of what would become "Still of the Night"... I took it as far as I could then I gave it to Sykesy when we were in the south of France, and he put the big guitar hero stuff on there. John hated blues so I had to work within those parameters. I manipulated to be electric blues, but how he performed it was fabulous for his time and relatively unique because of the songs. There were a lot of people doing that widdly stuff but they didn't have the quality of those songs."

(thx wiki & Whitesnake home)

In The Still Of The Night - Whitesnake

The song was written by lead singer David Coverdale and guitarist John Sykes, and proved to be one of the band's most popular songs. It combines the blues origins of the band with the more distorted, harder sound driving the song, making for a powerful hard rock song. The current Whitesnake lineup and John Sykes both play the song as their live encore.

The song has been cited as sounding similar to Led Zeppelin's "Black Dog", a possible source of inspiration for Coverdale and Sykes. The cymbal and hi-hat work, as well as the distorted guitar noise and Coverdale's moans in the breakdown of the song have also been noted to bear a resemblance to "Whole Lotta Love," yet another comparison to Led Zeppelin.

A music video, featuring Coverdale's then future wife Tawny Kitaen, was shot for the song, and it was MTV's most requested video in its first week of release.

(thx wiki & Whitesnake home)

Shake, Rattle and Roll

Bill Haley and the Comets

A twelve-bar blues song, it was written by Charles E. Calhoun and originally performed by Big Joe Turner. It was released in April of 1954, and hit #1 on the Billboard R&B chart, at the same time peaking at #22 on the Billboard Pop Chart. The original incarnation was far more sexual than Bill Haley's, with the chorus "shake, rattle, and roll" meaning "boisterous intercourse", much in the same way "rock and roll" was used to mean the same thing in early blues recordings. His version of the song is at #126 in Rolling Stone's list of the 500 Greatest Songs of all Time.

The most famous version of the song was by Bill Haley and the Comets, released in August of 1954, and peaked at #7 on the Billboard Pop Chart. His was a more peppier version, and fit the definition of rock and roll as a merger of country and rhythm and blues. Haley's producer, Mitt Gabler, admitted to cleaning up the lyrics, because he didn't want a radio station's censors to ban the song from being played. Haley and Turner became friends, and Haley's version helped Turner quite a bit, because people would hear one version and seek out the other. They toured Australia together in 1957, and Haley acknowledged Turner's version in later years by incorporating some of the original lyrics into his performances. Both versions however, contain the double entendre, "I'm like a one-eyed cat, peepin' in a seafood store." [Ed. If you want to know what it means, look up the Wikipedia article on the song, and mouse over the phrases "one-eyed cat" and "seafood store" LOL]

Both versions sold over a million copies, making Shake, Rattle and Roll the first big rock and roll hit.

Information taken from Wikipedia

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #299

This week there is 1 (one) songs needing facts.

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #299

1. Jenny Take A Ride - Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels (1966)

Jenny Take A Ride

Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels

Found on the group's debut album Take A Ride, it was the band's first big hit, and it peaked at #10 on the Pop Charts in 1965, also hitting #1 on the R&B charts, which was the first time that had ever happened for a rock band. It was supposed to be released as a b-side, but producer Bob Crewe changed his mind after seeing how two musicians who were also at the same studio, reacted to the song as it was being recorded. Who were they? Brian Jones and Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones.

Information taken from Wikipedia.

• 4 weeks later...

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #300

This week there is 5 (five) songs needing facts.

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #300

1. Easy Livin' - Uriah Heep (1972)

2. Hi-De-Ho - Blood, Sweat, & Tears (1970)

3. Fever, The - Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes (1976)

4. Don't Hang Up - The Orlons (1962)

5. Got To Get You Into My Life - Earth, Wind, & Fire (1978)

Don't Hang Up

The Orlons

Written by Dave Appell and Kal Mann, and featured on the album, The Wah-Watusi, Don't Hang Up reached #4 on Billboard's Pop Chart and #3 on its R&B Chart in 1962. It was one of the group's biggest songs and garnered notice again when it was featured in the 1993 film, Dennis the Menace.

Information taken from Wikipedia.

Do you guys use Wikipedia for information? If so, this is from Wiki:

The Fever

Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes

"The Fever" is an early Bruce Springsteen song, it was recorded and released on an extremely rare 7" demo to promote the band. The single was released under The Jersey Devil and was pressed on Bruce Records, which was Springsteen's own indi label for his band. It was performed by Springsteen in concert beginning in March 1973. It was recorded in 914 Sound Studios in May 1973, during sessions for Springsteen's second album The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle, but was directed towards a demo purposing for manager Mike Appel's Laurel Canyon publishing arm instead and named "Fever For the Girl". In early 1974 Appel sent it to several progressive rock radio stations, where it became a "turntable hit" in the ramp-up of Springsteen expectations prior to Born to Run.

It was recorded by UK singer Alan Rich in 1975 but failed to make much impact. In 1976, it was recorded on Southside Johnny and The Asbury Jukes' debut album I Don't Want to Go Home, entitled as "The Fever", and became better known. In 1979 The Pointer Sisters gave it a go on their Priority album. The original Springsteen recording finally achieved official surfacing in 1998 on his 18 Tracks outtakes collection.

Link

Thank you, pinkstones.

Thank you, BD. yes, we read the wiki as well, but mostly to gather information. Then we wrire our own story with our words, with all we can find in the net, in the books, in the album sleeves and covers... :)

I mean, not just copy and paste... ;)