The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten Facts

"Yer So Bad"

Tom Petty

Written by Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne.

Recorded between 1988 and 1989. Released on April 24th 1989.

A track of Petty's first solo album, "Full Moon Fever".

The single was released in 1990 as the B-side to "A Face in the Crowd", reaching #46 in the Billboard lists and #5 on Mainstream Rock Track Chart.

Petty recorded the album with the help of the Heartbeakers (except Stan Lynch, the drummer). Jeff Lynne plays electric guitar, keyboards, bass and sings background vocals.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Yer So Bad"

Tom Petty

The single was released in 1990 as the B-side to "A Face in the Crowd", reaching #46 in the Billboard lists and #5 on Mainstream Rock Track Chart.

This is only partially correct, Edna.

"Yer So Bad" did chart at #5 on the Billboard Album Rock Tracks chart (now known as the Mainstream Rock Tracks chart)

but

the song did not chart at #46 on any other charts.

"Willie The Wimp" - Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble

Recorded Live and taken from his 1986 album, Live Alive, the song peaked at # 19 in 1987 on the U.S. Billboard Album Rock Tracks chart (now known as the Mainstream Rock Tracks chart).

"Who Knows Where The Time Goes"

Fairport Convention

Written by Sandy Denny in 1967 and recorded solo as a demo, with her playing guitar and singing.

A track of Fairport Convention's third album "Unhalfbricking" released on July 1969.

The song was previously recorded with The Strawbs in 1967, for the album "All Our Own Work" but wasn't released until 1973. Denny played the guitar and sang. She left the band soon after.

Joni Mitchell recorded the next version in 1968 as the B-side to her single Both Sides, Now" and also as a track of her album "Who Knows Where the Time Goes?"

While in 1968, Sandy Denny joined Fairport Convention and by 1969 the song was released.

It was covered by many artists and performed in movies and TV series, being the signature song for Fairport Convention.

It was also voted as "Favourite Folk Track Of All Time" by listeners of BBC Radio in 2007.

The song is a slow-paced reflection in three verses on observed events ("Across the purple sky all the birds are leaving". "purple" is used in Denny's original home demo, later versions used "evening")

Having described these observations, Denny then writes that for her, some things are timeless ("Before the winter's fire, I will still be dreamin'; I have no thought of time") and in the last line of the short chorus asks rhetorically "Who knows where the time goes?".

The song is in the key of E major.

Edited by Guest

This is only partially correct, Edna.

"Yer So Bad" did chart at #5 on the Billboard Album Rock Tracks chart (now known as the Mainstream Rock Tracks chart)

but

the song did not chart at #46 on any other charts.

Thank you, Brad. I took the info from wikipedia.

"Willie The Wimp" - Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble

Recorded Live and taken from his 1986 album, Live Alive, the song peaked at # 19 in 1987 on the U.S. Billboard Album Rock Tracks chart (now known as the Mainstream Rock Tracks chart).

Written by Ruth Ellsworth-Carter and B. Carter.

Thank you, Brad.

"The Little Old Lady From Pasadena"

Jan and Dean

Written by Don Altfeld, Jan Berry and Roger Christian.

Recorded and released by Jan and Dean on June 8th 1964 with "My Mighty G.T.O" as the B-side.

The song reached #3 on Billboard and #5 on cash Box charts.

"The little old lady from Pasadena" was a kind of folk archetype in Southern California in the mid-20th century. Early in the century, many white couples from the Midwest had moved to the region, especially to Pasadena, California. The trend was accelerated by the Dust Bowl, the Great Depression and World War II. Since men tended to die earlier, Pasadena became known for its high percentage of elderly widows. As political columnist and language expert William Safire has noted, the phrase "little old ladies in tennis shoes" was used in the 1960s to refer to social and political conservatives in Southern California.

Part of this lore was that many an elderly man who died in Pasadena would leave his widow with a powerful car that she rarely if ever drove...Used car salesmen in California, so the story went, would tell prospective buyers that the previous owner of a vehicle was "a little old lady from Pasadena who only drove it to church on Sundays," thus suggesting the car had little wear...

From this premise came the comic song, about a little old lady from Pasadena who had a hot "Super Stock Dodge" a 1964 Dodge Polara or Dodge 330 in her garage... The twist was that unlike in the usual story, this little old lady not only drove the hot car, but was a peerless street racer.

"Rhythm Of My Heart"

Rod Stewart

Written by Marc Jordan and John Capek.

Recorded and released as a track of Stewart's album "Vagabond Heart" in 1991.

It was also the first single from the album, reaaching #3 in the UK lists and #5 in the US charts.

The B-side was "Moment of Glory".

Produced by Trevor Horn.

The melody is adapted from the Scottish round "Loch Lomond", by Andrew Lang, the folk poet from Scottland. Rod Stewart is from Scottish origin as well.

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #289

This week there is 5(five) songs needing facts.

1. Stoney End - Laura Nyro (1967)

2. Waste - Smash Mouth (1999)

3. You Still Believe in Me - The Beach Boys (1966).

4. Going Down - Freddie King (1971)

5. Holiday - Nazareth (1980)

If you have any info on any of the songs mentioned anywhere in this thread, please feel free to post your knowledge here. Submissions on songs will be collated and sent to the main site and you will receive credit for your contribution.

As always the Songfish thanks you

:guitar: :drummer: :rock:

Edited by Guest

"Stoney End"

Laura Nyro

Wtitten by Laura Nyro in 1966.

A track of her debut album "More Than a New Discovery", recorded in 1966 and released in 1967.

Also released as a single with slightly different lyrics, as the record company felt the lines about the Bible could be controversial.

Herb Bernstein, arranger and producer, tried to hire a professional piano player and wanted Laura Nyro to play acoustic guitar, but she refused.

Barbra Streissand had a #6 in the US charts with her version of the song.

"Waste"

Smash Mouth

Written by Greg Camp.

A track of their 1999 album "Astro Lounge", recorded between July 1998 and April 1999 at H.O.S. Recording, Redwood City, California, and released on June 8th.

Also released as a single (the last from four singles) that went #39 on the US Adult charts in 200.

"You Still Believe in Me"

The Beach Boys

Written by Brian Wilson and Tony Asher.

It was recorded in 1965 (November 1st)and in 1966, on January 24th and May 16.

Vocals were recorded between January and February 1966.

The song is the second track of their 1966 album "Pet Sounds" and its first title was "In My Childhood".

The bell and the horn heard on the song were in the original track "In My Childhood" and were left there.

"...compositionally embodies the unique manner in which Brian writes his music. In a sense, Brian created a new way of using the scale. His progressions are always going up, then pausing before they go up again, like they're going towards God."

"one of us had to get inside the piano to pluck the strings, while the other guy had to be at the keyboard pushing the notes so that they would ring."

"this song is a little 'Boys Choir'-type song with me doing the soprano. Very, very spiritual."

"You Still Believe in Me", heralded a new level of songwriting maturity for Brian Wilson and signalled to listeners of Pet Sounds that something new and wonderful was happening to pop music. Cueing off the troubled, self-reflective lyric – "I know perfectly well I'm not where I should be" – Wilson's honey sweet vocal adroitly surfs along the challenging melody, rising in a tide of painful confession: "everytime we break up you bring back your love to me / and after all I've done to you how can it be? / you still believe in me" It's a mature lyric, the melody spiritual and graceful, but the singer is having a mighty hard time of it bearing up under the pressure of his own shortcomings. You feel him cracking as he desires to fulfill his lover's expectations: "I try hard to be more what you want me to be / but I can't help how I act when you're not here with me / I try hard to be strong but sometimes I fail myself / and after all I've promised you so faithfully."

The stress, sadness and instability is most fragile and reflected not only in Wilson's achingly beautiful performance but in the quirky ensemble accompaniment suffused with breathy saxophones and bright, plucky piano and guitars. (The oddball appearance of a bicycle horn and bell is a remnant of an early version of the piece, titled "In My Childhood".) The song closes with a memorable coda: Wilson repeats the refrain "you still believe in me" and then breaks out into a glorious falsetto "I wanna cry" – holding the last syllable and soaring up an octave, then taking down the melody in stepwise fashion. It is the same eerily sweet melody the song started with (the intro part is played on plucked piano strings doubled by Wilson's falsetto). Mike Love echoes the same melody an octave lower, then the whole group chimes in with a baroque choir style harmony part overwhelming in its lush intricacy. It is at this moment that you realize that something in pop music has irrevocably crossed the line and merged with a classical sensibility. "You Still Believe in Me" develops a theme inaugurated and suggested by "Wouldn't It Be Nice": fragile lovers buckling under the pressure of external forces they can't control, self-imposed romantic expectations and personal limitations, while simultaneously trying to maintain faith in one other. It is a theme that keeps reverberating sweetly, and hauntingly, throughout Pet Sounds.

"Going Down"

Freddie King

Written by Don Nix.

Recorded by Freddie King for his album "Getting Ready".

This was the first LP for Leon Russell's Shelter Records and was relased in 1971. King had signed with Shelter in 1969.

Produced by Don Nix. Leon Russell plays piano.

“Going Down†is a stone-cold beast of a song that fits King’s stature: with hammering piano parts, two drummers, greasy guitar playing and roaring vocals, it’s the closest he ever got to hard rock and to white blues-rock.

"Holiday"

Nazareth

Written by Dan McCafferty-Zal Cleminson-Manny Charlton-Pete Agnew-Darrell Sweet.

The opening track for Nazareth's 1980 album, "Malice In Wonderland". It's their 11th studio album.

Also released as a single.

• 2 weeks later...

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #290

This week there is 5(five) songs needing facts.

1. One - Harry Nillson (1971)

2. Highway Song - Blackfoot (1979)

3. Saved By The Bell - Robin Gibb (1970)

4. It's Too Late - Derek & The Dominos (1970)

5. You Can't Sit Down - The Dovells (1963)

If you have any info on any of the songs mentioned anywhere in this thread, please feel free to post your knowledge here. Submissions on songs will be collated and sent to the main site and you will receive credit for your contribution.

"One"

Harry Nilsson

Written by Harry Nilsson.

It was recorded as a track for his third album, "Aerial Ballet", in 1967 and released in 1968.

"Sister Marie" was the B-side for the single, also released in 1968.

As Harry Nilsson recalled, he was calling someone on the phone but the line was busy. He wrote the song while listetng to the busy signal, which is in fact the intro of the song.

Its opening line -"One is the loneliest number that you'll ever do."- became famous due to the song.

The single didn't chart but in 1969, Three Dog Night recorded and released their cover, which went up to #5 on Billboard.

There has been many covers: Al Kooper, Johnny Farnham (#4 in Australian charts),Filter, The New Seekers, Chainsaw Kittens or Aimee on "For The Love Of Harry: Everybody Sings Nilsson", the tribute LP to Harry Nilsson.

Harry Nilsson takes on despair and loneliness in his self-explanatory song "One" (the loneliest number). In a simple electric piano, chamber pop arrangement with strings and wind instruments, Nilsson's piece is a stark and moving meditation on the plight of the lonely man.

"Highway Song"

Blackfoot

Written by Medlocke/Spires.

A track from their LP "Strikes", released in April 1979.

It was also released as a single and it made #26 in the US charts in 1979.

But the band's biggest hit would come in the form of the seven-minute "Highway Song," a tune that was admittedly very reminiscent of Skynyrd's "Freebird" and that helped drive the album to gold status.

"Saved By The Bell"

Robin Gibb

Written by Robin Gibb.

Recorded in March 1969 as a track for his first solo album, "Robin's Reign", released in February 1970 in the UK and one month later in the US.

The single was released in June. It went up to #2 in the UK and #3 in Germany. It was a #1 Hit in New Zealand and South Africa.

Robin Gibb had left the Bee Gees due to an argument with his brother Barry about the A-side of the first singe from the "Odessa" album. Robin wanted "Lamplight" on the A-side but it finally was released as the B-side.

Maurice Gibb plays bass and piano on the album

"It's Too Late"

Derek & The Dominos

Written by Chuck Willis in 1956.

Buddy Holly & The Crickets recorded the first version in 1957 for Buddy Holly's debut album.

Eric Clapton recorded the song with his new band: Duane Allman on slide guitar; Jim Gordon on drums, percussion and piano; Carl Radle on bass guitar and percussion and Bobby Whitlock on organ, piano, vocals and acoustic guitar.

A track of his double album "layla and Other Assorted Love Songs" was released in November 1970.

Edited by Guest

"You Can't Sit Down"

The Dovells

Written by Dee Clark, Kal Mann and Cornell Muldrow.

An instrumental performed originally by The Phil Upchurch Combo in 1961.

It was released as a single in 1963 by The Dovells, being the first vocal version. It reached #3 on Billboard Hot 100 in the same year.

It's also included in their 1963 LP "You Can't Sit Down".

• 2 weeks later...

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #291

This week there is 4(four) songs needing facts.

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #291

1. Sweet Little Rock And Roller - Chuck Berry (1959)

2. Magic Power - Triumph (1981)

3. Rain King - Counting Crows (1993)

4. Turn Up The Radio - Autograph (1984)

Edited by Guest

"Sweet Little Rock And Roller"

Chuck Berry

Written by Chuck Berry.

Released as an EP in 1958 in the US.

Also a track of "Chuck Berry is on Top", a compilation studio album released also in 1959.

The song went up till #13 in the R&B Singles list and # 47 on The Billboard Hot 100.

Bo Diddley plays guitar and Willie Dixon is on bass.

"Magic Power"

Triumph

Written by Rick Emmett, Michael Levine and Gil Moore.

A track of Trumph's 5th studio album, "Allied Forces", released in September 19th 1981.

The single went #8 on the Manstream Rock chart.

Also a single

"Turn Up The Radio" - Autograph

A single from their 1984 album, Sign in Please.

The song peaked in early 1985 on two different Billboard charts in the U.S.

#29 Billboard Hot 100

#17 Billboard Top Rock Tracks chart (now known as Mainstream Rock Tracks chart)

A music video was released of the song.

In one of the earliest examples of product placement in a music video, Paper Mate funded the video in exchange for the band using their pen in the clip.

The pen was the Paper Mate erasable pen.

In the video, the band members all take turns "signing in", when told to "Sign in Please" (a reference to the album title).

When the last band member signs in with an 'X', an error alarm is sounded and he uses the erasable pen to erase the 'X'.

Read about it here on Songfacts:

Songfact: "Turn Up The Radio" - Autograph