Remember Creem Magazine

Creem Online is an amazing site for classic rock lovers and those who want to feel what it was like "back then". Truthfully, when I go to their site I can't break away.

Not only did I keep most of my Creem Magazines, but they are out for easy access on my bookcase in my home office.

I am reliving Creems obsession with Alice Cooper, Iggy, Bowie, The Plasmatics, The Ramones, Zep..it's too much fun.

Remember the competing "Circus" magazine? That was fun too, but it wasn't Creem. I also read "Melody Maker" and The Aquarian Weekly (regional). Rolling Stone was my least favorite of the bunch and I would only buy it if something was particularly interesting to me.

I bought 16 too!!! I had Bobby Sherman and David Cassidy posters... but later I really enjoyed Creem, MM, New Musical Express, French magazine Rock&Folk (one of the best in the world, believe me...) and so. I must have some among my books and magazines but the only collection I could keep (I moved many times) was some 100 or 200 MAD...

I LOVE the Creem website! :rockon:Lester Bangs :rockon: The first time I heard about Creem magazine was in the movie Almost Famous. Sounds like it woulda been the magazine for me, especially if they had an obsession with Bowie, The Ramones, Led Zep, Alice Cooper and Iggy!!

This is from Wikipedia:

Creem is a rock and roll magazine started in 1969 by Barry Kramer. It shut down production in 1988, but resumed printing in 2005. The music journalist Lester Bangs was employed by Creem. The term "punk rock" was coined by this magazine.

Creem was based in Detroit, Michigan, and its separation from the centers of tastemaking and the entertainment industry in the United States encouraged a certain irreverent, deprecatory tone that permeated the magazine. Its location also encouraged it to be amongst the first national publications to cover local artists such as Iggy Pop, Alice Cooper, Bob Seger, Ted Nugent and Parliament-Funkadelic and other Midwesterners such as Cheap Trick and The Raspberries in great depth. Creem picked up on the punk rock and new wave movements early on, long before its California rival Rolling Stone did.

Other writers for Creem included Richard Meltzer, Dave DiMartino, Penny Valentine, Richard Riegel, Legs McNeil, Dave Marsh, Greil Marcus, Patti Smith, Cameron Crowe, and Bill Holdship, who became the final editor of Creem in the mid-1980s. The magazine moved its base of operations to Los Angeles shortly before its demise.