HEAVY man ! Let's dance !

Kevin

Alot of songs with serious themes or topics often are written and performed leaving us with a sad, helpless, and/ or thoughtful feeling. This is, of course, the intention of the artist. However some skillful artists can deliver a heavy message within an upbeat, funky, or even sexy melody--even danceable. One rarely feels down after listening to them -- in fact , just the opposite, often. Any thoughts on examples of the latter type ?

TLC: "Waterfalls" -- great sexy- sounding tune that speaks about monogamy and the dangers of AIDS.

Marvin Gaye: "What' Goin' On" -- funky tune about gun violence/ war

Prince:" Sign O' The Times": -- again a funky song with various social evils/ troubles such as drug addiction

'53rd & 3rd' by The Ramones is widely rumoured to be about Dee Dee Ramone's younger days as a hustler on that particular street corner in New York. The song even talks about Dee Dee turning tricks to make enough money to live on (oh and for his drugs). Dee Dee never openly spoke about the meaning of this song, preferring to leave the past in the past.

It is surprising to find out that this song is so heavy with issues, as it is an upbeat song that is really good for a sing-a-long.

TLC's "Unpretty". In general it's about women's self confidence being tied to their looks. A sampling of their lyrics:

You can buy your hair if it won't grow

You can fix your nose if he says so

You can buy all the make-up that mac can make

But if you can't look inside you

Find out who am i, too

Be in a position to make me feel so damn unpretty

"Gypsy Woman" by Crystal Waters is about a homeless woman. "What Would You Do?" by City High is about teen pregnancy. There is also an '80's dance song called "19", I believe it's by Paul Hardcastle. I know the song title refers to the average age of soldiers sent off to fight in Vietnam.

"Smalltown Boy" -- Bronski Beat : relates the story of a young homosexual kid who has to leave his town and family because of the abuse and intolerance he experiences. One of the prettiest, most danceable nightclub melodies out there.

"LA Woman" -- The Doors: A killer narrates his 'adventure' to a frantically upbeat rock rythm

• 2 weeks later...