Can't Buy Me Love - The Beatles

Carl

Hi All. Wondering if anyone can help with this potential Songfact:

Song Name: Can't Buy me Love

Artist: The Beatles

SongFacts: The song originally began with a verse. George Martin suggested they have some sort of introduction. Paul fooled around and then came up with the variation on the chorus that is in the final.

Hi All. Wondering if anyone can help with this potential Songfact:

Song Name: Can't Buy me Love

Artist: The Beatles

SongFacts: The song originally began with a verse. George Martin suggested they have some sort of introduction. Paul fooled around and then came up with the variation on the chorus that is in the final.

I don't know, but I did find this out.

...a Beatles hit with an unconventional start. Producer George Martin suggested that the band start the song with the chorus instead of the first verse as was normally done.

...a song that might have ended with a toilet flush had the Beatles had their way. There is a story that the Beatles first recorded this song in their dressing room while George was in the washroom. As the song finishes, the sound of a toilet flushing can be heard. The Beatles wanted to release that version but George Martin prevailed upon them to record it again in the studio.

...one of the Beatles top selling records...it only took them four takes and about an hour to record it.

Also recorded at Pathe Marconi Studios in Paris along with a couple German versions of She loves you and I want to hold your hand - this was the only time in their careers that they recorded outside London.

Can't Buy Me Love was written in Miami by Paul, with some of John's input. It was recorded in just 4 takes on January 29, 1964 at EMI's Pathé Marconi Studios in Paris. The first take shows how Paul intended the song with a bluesy vocal. John and George added repeat backing vocals that were also discarded. Take two was another attempt at this version. For the third take, the Beatles finalized the sound of the recording. This is the take to be found on Anthology I. After take three broke down, the song was completed with take four. Paul added an overdubbed vocal, and George's lead guitar was also dubbed. From start to finish, Can't Buy Me Love required less than one hour to record. The mono version was mixed on February 26, and an usued stereo vesrion was mixed on March 10.

More than 2,100,000 advanced orders were placed for this single in the US alone, the highest ever for a single. Understandably, this was the first single to ever enter the charts at number 1. Can't Buy Me Love was also the third consecutive number 1 single, immediately following I Want To Hold Your Hand and She Loves You. In fact, on April 4, 1964 when Can't Buy Me Love was number 1, Beatle songs were also in chart positions 2, 3, 4, 5, and seven other spots in the Top 100. The next week, the Beatles had 14 of the Top 100.

"Can't Buy Me Love" was recorded in France at an EMI facility during sessions for "Komm, Gib Mir Diene Hand" and "Sie Liebt Dich", their only recording session for EMI outside of Britain. An EMI studio record for the March 10 session states that a "drummer" took part in the mixing session, making it very likely that a session drummer performed overdubs for the stereo version of "Can't Buy Me Love". It has long been noted that the drums for each song are different, and due to the shooting schedule for 'A Hard Day's Night' (which was being shot on this day) would have made it hard for Ringo to have been in the studio.

Chart performance

#1, April 2 - April 22 (3 weeks), Record Retailer (UK)

#1, April 4 - May 8 (5 weeks), Billboard (US)

• 1 month later...

"It has long been noted that the drums for each song are different, and due to the shooting schedule for 'A Hard Day's Night' (which was being shot on this day) would have made it hard for Ringo to have been in the studio".

Wouldn't it have been just as hard for the other three to get to the studio then?

I think your hypothesis is pretty far out.

"It has long been noted that the drums for each song are different, and due to the shooting schedule for 'A Hard Day's Night' (which was being shot on this day) would have made it hard for Ringo to have been in the studio".

Wouldn't it have been just as hard for the other three to get to the studio then?

I think your hypothesis is pretty far out.

It isn't actually my hypothesis, but I didn't see you offering any alternative.