the NIGHT the drove Old Dixie down...

edna

This is actually a question I've been wondering about as well; Is it the actual 'night' of the surrender at Appomatox (or thereafter as news spread) or one of the nights preceeding it in their particular area (likely Virginia, after seeing Robert E. Lee ) which conviced the narrator that Dixie was finished ?

I live less than five miles from the Mason-Dixon line. There's a rural road, called, aptly enough, Mason-Dixon Line Road.

Here are the lyrics. They paint a stark picture.

Virgil Caine is the name and I served on the Danville train

'Til Stoneman's cavalry came and tore up the tracks again

In the winter of sixty-five

We were hungry just barely alive

By May tenth Richmond had fell

It was a time I remember oh so well

Chorus

The night they drove old Dixie down

And the bells were ringing

The night they drove old Dixie down

And the people were singing, they went

La la la la la la, la la la la la la la la, la

Like my father before me I will work the land (note 1)

And like my brother above me who took a rebel stand

He was just eighteen, proud and brave

When a Yankee laid him in his grave

I swear by the mud below my feet

You can't raise a Cain back up when he's in defeat

[chorus]

Back with my wife in Tennessee when one day she called to me (note 2)

Virgil, quick come see, there goes Robert E Lee

Now I don't mind choppin' wood

And I don't care if the money's no good

You take what you need and you keep the rest

But they should never have taken the very best

[chorus]

Actually, the Mason-Dixon Line ends at the Ohio River! If you're ever in the northern panhandle of West Virginia and you cross over from Marshall County into Wetzel County (or vice-versa) there is a sign there that says "You are now crossing the Mason-Dixon Line"?

Thank you very much Easy, Addic, Jr, Kevin, Don... Thanks for the lyrics, Jr, I wrote them down from the record and it´s all correct, as I see... the boys of the band want me to sing it. My husband told me what it´s all about but I wanted to make sure... He was right and I thank you very much again!!

Actually, the Mason-Dixon Line ends at the Ohio River! If you're ever in the northern panhandle of West Virginia and you cross over from Marshall County into Wetzel County (or vice-versa) there is a sign there that says "You are now crossing the Mason-Dixon Line"?

If you extend it east, part of New Jersey is south of the Mason-Dixon Line. :elvis:

oh my god this is THE most bizarre thing ever!! my mum sings in a group and they used to do this song back when i was little. i hadn't heard it in years but i woke up one day just before christmas singing it and couldn't explain it. so on new year's eve mum and i sang it together and i've been humming it on and off ever since. it's a fantastic song!

Really, it is... and it allows me to learn a bit about American History... And now I´m singing it with the band (not The Band, my friend´s band...)

Thank you very much all of you, you´ve been of great help! Thanks again for the lyrics, Sir Jr, and for the Band info,SirBB...