Which is the best "One Hit Wonder" of all time?

Steel2Velvet

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To Steel2Velvet

Thanks for that info on Marmalade I've always loved that song--nicely sad and haunting (though doesn't it kind of sound like early Bee Gees, which I like too.) Along those lines, one of my all-time favorites was Seasons In The Sun by Terry Jacks. Not many people realize it was a remake of a Jacques Brel song, and though the arrangement was a little too breezy, it did have its heart-tugging moments ("Goodbye Papa it's hard to die, when all the birds are singing in the sky, now that spring is in the air, all the children everywhere, when you see them I'll be there.") Also, Alone Again Naturally is another unique pop song that expresses loss. (Though it does kinda make you want to take the bridge!)

:: You must be thinking of another band; Marmalade were never one hit wonders. They hit the UK #1 spot in 1968 with a cover of The Beatles "Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da" and continued through to the early seventies with more hits like "Rainbow" and the one you quoted, "Reflections of My Life". They would never have been drafted for Vietnam as they were a UK band. They faded into obscurity after the UK newspaper, The News of the World, exposed their scandalous activities with under age groupies. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the heads-up Edl. I apparently got bum info from a guy I met in the service who claimed to have been in boot camp with the drummer from Marmalade. But, now that you mention it, I HAD heard they were a UK band, but it did not register. They just never had another hit in the U.S.

I'd say "House of the Rising Sun" by The Animals (though I think they had a few other kinda hits...)

they had a few more hits with -

Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood

We Gotta Get Out of This Place

When I Was Young

Monterey

San Franciscan Nights

It's My Life

::

The One Hit Wonder which was the measuring stick for all subsequent ones was "In The Year 2525" by Zager and Evans, a 1969 #1 in the US for 6 weeks, UK 3 weeks, Australia 1 week. Can you call "Macarena" a 1 Hit Wonder as Los Del Rio also charted with "Macarena Christmas" ? Terry Jacks also had two other US chart hits besides "Seasons In The Sun". :angel:

I'd say "House of the Rising Sun" by The Animals (though I think they had a few other kinda hits...) and "American Pie" by Don McLean

The Animals had at least 3 other big hits with "When I Was Young", "We've Got To Get Out Of This Place" and "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood".

Someone suggested "My Sharonna"...I think it´s the best example of One Hit Wonder... or maybe "I don´t like sundays", Boomtown Rats... I don´t remember anything they did after this song.

Fair slap of the strap ! The Knack had 4 other Chart Hits besides "My Sharona" and the Boomtown Rats, although "I Don't like Mondays" was their only hit as a group - Bob Geldof had one solo - had 13 others in the UK, including a Gold and 2 Silver. :angel:

I'll say Expressway to Your Heart

by the Soul Survivors ('67)

Bluesboy, I thought your simple but incisive explanation of "Roll Over Beethoven" was brilliant, but sorry to say that Soul Survivors also had hits with Exposion (In My Soul) and Impossible Mission (Mission Impossible). Maybe we should be stipulating Top 5 or Top 10 Hits only ? :angel:

There are many, many fine one-hit wonders...

But if I had to choose just one, the best that comes to mind is..."Never Been Any Reason" by Head East. I also get a kick out of that "SCIENCE" one by Thomas Dolby.

Sorry, Head East had 2 other US Chart Hits as did Thomas Dolby. :angel:

I was blown away by Norman Greenbaum's SPIRIT IN THE SKY back in 1970.The distorted Fender Telecaster and the feedback were amazing.I thought this guy was destined for greatness.I waited for more but nothing ever came.

He did have 2 more minor US chart hits in 70 and 71, but retired from music in 1972 to breed goats ! :angel:

Hi, Old55... I see you´ve got the same doubt than me: how to put many different quotes in the same post! I´m trying to find out, I´ll let you know as soon as I know... I didn´t know the Knack had other hits... but I´m sure the Boomtwon Rats had only one... maybe Bob Geldof had other solo hits, but then again I never heard any of them... well, I might be wrong...but I doubt it!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: