Which is the best "One Hit Wonder" of all time?

Steel2Velvet

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll say Expressway to Your Heart

by the Soul Survivors ('67)

but sorry to say that Soul Survivors also had hits with Exposion (In My Soul) and Impossible Mission (Mission Impossible). Maybe we should be stipulating Top 5 or Top 10 Hits only ? :angel:

Well then, how about

Reach Out of the Darkness

by Friend & Lover ('68) :D

_ _ _ _

I think it's so groovy now

That people are finally getting together ~ Friend & Lover

Hi Edna,

Thanks for that! I'm a Newbie. Many(understandably) will think I'm being pedantic dragging up songs that did chart, however lowly. You're quite right that the Boomtown Rats only US Hit was "I Don't Like Mondays" 1980, and Bob Geldof had a minor US solo hit with "This Is The World Calling" 1986. They were very popular in the UK though, with "Rat Trap"1978 going to #1 the year before "I Don't Like Mondays" 1979 there, and 3 other Top Ten hits. One of those, "Banana Republic" was their only other (minor) hit here in Australia besides "Mondays" a #1 :angel:.

They were very popular in the UK though, with "Rat Trap"1978 going to #1 the year before "I Don't Like Mondays" 1979 there, and 3 other Top Ten hits. One of those, "Banana Republic" was their only other (minor) hit here in Australia besides "Mondays" a #1 :angel:.

I see... When I think of "One Hit Wonder", I think of groups or singers that had a smash hit and then tried to have another, and another, but they fdidn´t get that much high on the charts. For instance, Shocking Blue had "Venus". Then, "Never marry a railroad man"... but they will always be remembered by "Venus"... even if the other songs hit #1 in different countries. I think we both agree and we both are right... :happybanana:

Hey Edna! If you want to quote twice or more just click the quote button again and insert what you want to quote and move it where you want it to be. You can quote as often as you like in one post.

I try to but I can´t. I click on "quote", then the quote appears on my post... when I click on "quote" again my post disappears and a new post is open... with the new quote...

• 2 weeks later...

"Gloria" - Laura Brannigan

"Bette Davis Eyes" - Kim Carnes

Perhaps these ladies had another song or two, but I don't recall ever hearing anything else from them . Definately, at least one of them should have made the list, though ! :beatnik: :rockon:

"And she'll tease you

she'll unease you

all the better just to please you

She's ferocious

and she know's just what it takes to make a pro blush

All the boys think she's a spy

She's got Bette Davis eyes...."

"Gloria" - Laura Brannigan

"Bette Davis Eyes" - Kim Carnes

Perhaps these ladies had another song or two, but I don't recall ever hearing anything else from them .

Kim Carnes had a big hit with Kenny Rogers - "Don't Fall in Love with a Dreamer" and I believe she had at least one other solo hit, but don't recall the title.