English Is Dum

Steel2Velvet

Since we have so many English second-languagers on this site, I thought I would create a thread for venting those nagging questions, silly observations or just plain great gripes about the language by which we all love to be abused.

I'll start:

Why have the word "reiterate" when "iterate" means exactly the same thing? It seems repetitive, no?

Edited by Guest
title change!

Yes they do mean the same thing. However the word "reiterate" came into common (mis)usage because people didn't know that iterate already meant to repeat something so they felt they had to add the "re" to signify that it was done again.

Strictly speaking, "iterate" is the proper word, unless someone is iterating again or excessively, then maybe you could use reiterate.

No English is really not a very sensible language at all - why do 'gone' 'done' and 'phone' have different pronunciations? Why are there seven different ways to pronounce '-ough'? Why do words that are spelled differently have the same pronunciation while some words that are phonetically different have the same spelling?

English is my first language and I'm glad it is as popular as it is because teaching it must be torture.

They say English is the hardest language to teach someone if they are not a native speaker. Which I can understand. When you look at some of our grammar rules, they can be confusing to a non-speaker.

There were three classes when was in school, both grammar and high school, where I consistently got straight A's: History, Foreign Language, and English.

They say English is the hardest language to teach someone if they are not a native speaker. Which I can understand. When you look at some of our grammar rules, they can be confusing to a non-speaker.

Huh? are we talking about the same English?

English is extremely easy to learn, since it's got almost no grammar :D

you don't even have different cases...

Amen to that... :cool: ...and compared to German, French, Russian or even Spanish, English is a very very easy language to learn. Plus you have films and songs and comics in English worldwide... our current life hasplenty of English terms.

Yet its is amazing how rich it is... :cool:

I teach, on a part-time basis, conversational English to a few Brazilians who have cornered me into doing so. What I have discovered through this endeavor is there are two conversational "Englishes" (And even a third when one considers various technical jargons associated with myriad occupational disciplines.)

The first form of English is basic. It is consistently easy for sentence formation and rudimentary thought transference, allowing a person who knows as few as about a thousand words the freedom to effectively communicate, on a broad range of subjects, with almost anyone else who understands those thousand words.

Then there is advanced - literary - English that has the potential to confuse the heck out of anyone who wanders into that world! It is richly diverse and filled with nuance that lends itself to boundless wordplay; but for that same reason can easily frustrate those unfamiliar with its complexities.

Thinking about which, causes me to rethink the title of this thread. I should have made it English Is Dum.

Then there is advanced - literary - English that has the potential to confuse the heck out of anyone who wanders into that world! It is richly diverse and filled with nuance that lends itself to boundless wordplay; but for that same reason can easily frustrate those unfamiliar with its complexities.

And that's the English we love, the nuances and the wordplay you mention... :bow: To know a language is not only talking in person, it's also reading a book.

but isn't that the case with every language?

In my experiences with Portuguese, I can comprehend its meaning much easier while reading than while listening to it being spoken. Perhaps that is because of the time allotment for discernment while reading.

It seems English is the opposite to my Brazilian wife. She constantly asks my help in deciphering written meanings, but rarely needs assistance with the spoken word.