Moving to the UK

Tony Baloni

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as loopholes , you pretty much lost all those on July 4th , 1776 , Yankee ! :laughing: Much easier if you are from the Commonwealth .

Seriously though , should be easy to get a tourist visa at first ( usually 90 days ) and then you can apply to extend it there if you have other plans . They may even have a working holiday visa for 6 months which is better ( but you may have to have a job lined up ) . There is likely a British Consulate in S.F. or nearby . Call them .

Edited by Guest

oh snap, check this out:

You may qualify for this visa if you are a(n):

* professional entertainer coming to take part in a music competition;

* Sikh religious entertainer; or

* amateur entertainer coming to the UK as an individual performer; or

* amateur entertainer coming to the UK as part of a group, for example, a choir or youth orchestra coming for a specific concert; or

* amateur or professional entertainer taking part in a cultural event sponsored by a government, a recognised international organisation or a major art festival.

so i either have to become a sikh religious entertainer, which would first involve finding out wtf that is.. or, i can apparently just come as an amateur performer. that sounds pretty easy. anybody know any bands in the UK looking for a vocalist/piano/sax/guitar player??? promise i dont suck!

Edited by Guest

The economy is crap in the UK too now , but you should maybe look at some Cambridge business related websites and fire off an application or email to somewhere that may hire you - you could soon after quit and go where you want with your visa which will still be valid, even being a waiter or working on a farm or something . Tell them a lot of b.s. about how your dream is to work there , etc .

Since Cambridge is a famous university and tourist town , they likely have a lot of foreign students who want to improve their English. You could start by applying to a language school as a teacher . Usually students just want a native speaker and American English is more in demand than British ( though the school may snub you, but try another then ) . This sounds like something you need qualifications for , but you may be surprised at how easy it actually is. You are mainly just a speaking partner correcting their mistakes and adding to their vocabulary . This was how I got a working visa into Japan .

:laughing: :laughing: ... or learn how to juggle soon ! Card tricks ? Performance art ? ... :D

That's amusing how they would dangle that carrot to street scum and not someone who wants to simply get a real job , but happens to be American . Get over yourself , 'Liz ! :laughing:

Damn you , Thomas Jefferson ! Eh ? ;)

Edited by Guest

Well , wait a minute . If you can play a few tunes on your guitar ,etc. , why wouldn't you be eligible as an amateur individual entertainer ?

Give it a try . Remember : this is a government you are dealing with . They like paper . It's not 'American Idol ' - you don't have to perform for them . :cool:

I would still apply around a bit to see if you can get a bite .

Personally , if you are really psyched to go and impatient to wait , I would just take the tourist visa and then look around once there . You can always apply for new visa status once you are there and have latched onto something you like -90 days ( or so ) should be long enough . Once there , you'll have a far better sense of whether you like it there , want to stay , can find something to do and what really is open to you -even better than using the net . Worst case ; you come home a bit wiser , a bit poorer , but can try again if you still want to .

Edited by Guest

Oh ,sorry, forget about the 'try as an amateur entertainer ' part as I just read your post about no corresponding program - and thank God you don't - as you can now see why the UK is a terrorist hotbed :

" I'm a dynamite juggler ."

"Oh , really ? You're in for 2 years my friend . Ha-ha ! Do you think those are real ?"