20 Revealing Musical Questions

Otokichi

Here's a set of questions that keeps popping up on mog.com from time to time. Is your musical insurance all paid up? :stars:

1. What's your favorite band

2. Do you play an instrument?

3. Sing?

4. Write lyrics?

5. Have you ever slept with a drummer?

6. What's the coolest concert you've ever attended?

7. Who's the most skilled guitarist of all time?

8. Name a song that just makes you want to break stuff.

9. Name three musicians who died of drug overdoses.

10. What's the best lyric ever written?

11. If you could experience one band/artist perform live at any point in history, who?

12. If you could master any instrument, which would it be?

13. If you had the power to rid the world of one genre of music, what would be gone?

14. What song do you have playing right now?

15. Greatest album in the history of time?

16. Is Elvis still The King?

17. What's your favourite musical?

18. When you hear the phrase "Rock 'N' Roll" what comes to mind?

19. Ever wanted to be a D.J.?

20. If you could sleep with any famous musician, who would it be?

:jester:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When this post first appeared, question #8 was incomplete/unclear. I stopped at the last question for a Google! search, wiped everything, so I'll fill in the blanks once more.

1. What's your favorite band?

Jim Croce's road band, if you mean in an "After Life" kind of way. (The only band to accompany one to The Next Life.)

I've tortured 'Ukuleles and guitars.

3. Sing?

Like a toad/frog in the summer time.

4. Write lyrics?

"There once was a Rocker from Nantucket..."

Does Hula count?

Any of the Diamond Head Crater Celebration new year/summer concerts of the late 1960's to early 1970's. One could see/hear the famous (Santana, Buddy Rich) to the not-so-famous (Cecilio & Kapono, Gabby Pahinui).

A tie between Andres Segovia and John Williams if you mean Classical Guitar.

"Street Fighting Man" by The Rolling Stones.

That subject's been addressed more times than necessary.

"Oh Beautiful, for spacious skies..."

11. If you could experience one band/artist perform live at any point in history, who?

Since they never played Honolulu, the early Beatles.

The piano, so I could do "Dueling Pianos" with my sister.

13. If you had the power to rid the world of one genre of music, what would be gone?

What, stand in the way of someone's self expression?

"96 Degrees In the Shade" performed by Mana'o Company.

Thomas Edison's first wax recordings.

Better him than Michael Jackson.

"Man of La Mancha," with Richard Kiley as "Don Quixote."

Chuck Berry and Little Richard!

If college counts, I was an FM LP spinner in the 1970's. Otherwise, my music collection is good only for Classic Rock or Hawaiian-themed parties.

A tossup between Linda Ronstadt or Karen Carpenter?

:sleepy:

Chill, man! I'm on record as a fan of The Carpenters and Karen in particular. I once went to the trouble of making my own Carpenters T-shirt, for heaven's sake. I know that she was a talented drummer, as well as the owner of possibly the best female singing voice in history. I believe I nominated her in the SF Best Voices of All-Time Poll (quite some time ago now), when everyone else had overlooked her. Otherwise she mightn't have finished #3 in the poll. I most certainly was not casting aspersions upon her musical prowess just now.

But you cast her in a rather different light: as an object of desire. In response to which I posed a quite legitimate (if rather ribald) question. :P

Edited by Guest
Fine detail

Never heard of either of them, mate. :blush:

No, I wasn't suggesting that your answer to #20 should be more ribald. My question to you- regarding the difference between Karen Carpenter and a counterfeit dollar- that was the ribald remark. It doesn't matter if you don't know, somebody may be kind enough to...uh...fill you in. :P

When the subject of Karen Carpenter came up way back in the 1960's, it was usually one of jest and derision. As in: "You're a fan of that Pop drivel? The Carpenters!? They're a half step down from Mrs. Miller! Go listen to some Bo Diddley, take a ride on the Jefferson Airplane, then discuss some Serious Music!" (As in "Big Brother & The Holding Company," with Janis Joplin.) So what does Karen Carpenter have to do with "Eleven dollar bills"?

:stars:

Edited by Guest

1. What's your favorite band

The Who

saxophone, drums, bass (not well)

3. Sing?

Not too badly, I have been told, but I am self conscious.

4. Write lyrics?

I am not deep enough

No

T-Bone Burnett, The Clash and The Who on one bill

There are many. For me, its Stevie Ray Vaughn

Anything by Suicidal Tendencies

John Entwistle, Keith Moon, Jim Morrison

Today, it is "Dont wear your heart out on your sleeve when your remarks are off the cuff."

The Who in 1973

I would sell my soul to play like The Ox

Gangsta Rap

no music right now

Quadrophenia

Costello? Yes

Tommy (see a pattern developing?!)

powerful expression

I used to pretend to be a DJ when I was a kid. I would only do it now if I could play whatever I wanted.

I think Nora Jones is quite cuddly.

1. What's your favorite band-R.E.M.

2. Do you play an instrument?-Only those of torture

3. Sing?-I try to sing every day. Whether I'm good or not will never be known

4. Write lyrics?-nonsensical ones

5. Have you ever slept with a drummer?-I don't even know a drummer in real life

6. What's the coolest concert you've ever attended?-I haven't been to any cool concerts

7. Who's the most skilled guitarist of all time?-sheesh, I don't care, so Clapton.

8. Name a song that just makes you want to break stuff.-London Calling-The Clash makes me combative

9. Name three musicians who died of drug overdoses-Brian Jones, Dennis Wilson, Lane Staley

10. What's the best lyric ever written?-"So easy to look at, so hard to define"-Sarah, Bob Dylan

11. If you could experience one band/artist perform live at any point in history, who would it be?-Many artists-Woodstock, brown acid and all.

12. If you could master any instrument, which would it be?-Harpsicord? Like Lurch!

13. If you had the power to rid the world of one genre of music, what would be gone?-None. If you don't like it, don't listen to it.

14. What song do you have playing right now?-None, but the last song I listened to was Seether-Veruca Salt

15. Greatest album in the history of time?-The White Album

16. Is Elvis still The King?-Royalty is over rated

17. What's your favourite musical?-Tie btw Guys and Dolls and Singing in the Rain

18. When you hear the phrase "Rock 'N' Roll" what comes to mind?-Mick Jagger or David Bowie

19. Ever wanted to be a D.J.?-YES!!!!

20. If you could sleep with any famous musician, who would it be?-my screen name sake, duh!

1. What's your favorite band? The Doors

2. Do you play an instrument? Piano

3. Sing? No

4. Write lyrics? No

5. Have you ever slept with a drummer? No6. What's the coolest concert you've ever attended? Marillion (1984)

7. Who's the most skilled guitarist of all time? Jimi Hendrix

8. Name a song that just makes you want to break stuff. Master Of Puppets

9. Name three musicians who died of drug overdoses. Janis Joplin, Tomi Bollin, Keith Moon

10. What's the best lyric ever written? The End, The Doors

11. If you could experience one band/artist perform live at any point in history, who? The Doors

12. If you could master any instrument, which would it be? Guitar

13. If you had the power to rid the world of one genre of music, what would be gone? Rap

14. What song do you have playing right now? None

15. Greatest album in the history of time? Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon

16. Is Elvis still The King? Yes

17. What's your favourite musical? None

18. When you hear the phrase "Rock 'N' Roll" what comes to mind? Elvis

19. Ever wanted to be a D.J.? No

20. If you could sleep with any famous musician, who would it be? Dead: Jim Morrison Alive: Nikki Sixx

:jester:

Edited by Guest

1. What's your favorite band - The Stones (Gawwwwd!)

2. Do you play an instrument? - Not really anymore (Used to be able to play some bad guitar.)

3. Sing? - Very rarely

4. Write lyrics? - Parodies only (Inside jokes mostly...none that would be funny to you guys.)

5. Have you ever slept with a drummer? - No (But with many chicks who can "keep the rhythm", so to speak)

6. What's the coolest concert you've ever attended? - SARSFest, Toronto, Canada, July 20, 2003 (The Stones, AC/DC, Rush, Guess Who, Jeff Healey, Sass Jordan, Flaming Lips, Isley Brothers, several others, 500,000 people, Justin Timberlake got pelted with oranges.)

7. Who's the most skilled guitarist of all time? - Ritchie Blackmore (And I will say it until the day he (or I) dies,)

8. Name a song that just makes you want to break stuff. - Well, having to listen to anything by Phil Collins makes me want to break my fingers and toes with a vise grip. Does that count?)

9. Name three musicians who died of drug overdoses - Brian Jones, Keith Moon, Dee Dee Ramone

10. What's the best lyric ever written? - "I think I lost some weight there, and I'm sure I need some rest/Sleeping don't come very easy in a straight white vest." ~ "Ballad of Dwight Fry" - Alice Cooper

11. If you could experience one band/artist perform live at any point in history, who would it be? - Kinks, 1984

12. If you could master any instrument, which would it be? - This f***in' kazoo! Sh*t!

13. If you had the power to rid the world of one genre of music, what would be gone? - Sampling

14. What song do you have playing right now? - Nothing at the moment, but if I had my choice, it would be "Hand of Fate" by the Stones.

15. Greatest album in the history of time? - "Sticky Fingers" - The Stones

16. Is Elvis still The King? - Elvis Stojko never was the King. Brian Boitano ruled then and still rules now!

17. What's your favourite musical? - "Quadrophenia", but I love "Grease", too. (I mean I love "Grease", also, not "Grease 2", 'cause that sucked out loud!)

18. When you hear the phrase "Rock 'N' Roll" what comes to mind? - Tailgate parties, big crowds, lotsa lights and fireworks, people you've never met passing doobs to you inside the concert, that kinda stuff.

19. Ever wanted to be a D.J.? - You bet. But I would have to own the station, because I would play only what I want to play, not what the "industry" wants me to play.

20. If you could sleep with any famous musician, who would it be? - Probably the Runaways all at the same time. Or maybe the Go-Go's...I hear that hot, little Jane Wiedlin is a wildcat in the sack....likes to experiment, if you get my drift.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

1. What's your favorite band- The Doors

2. Do you play an instrument?- Yes. Fiddle

3. Sing?- Indeed I do.

4. Write lyrics?- Not exactly. I've never really tried to put my words to music.

5. Have you ever slept with a drummer?- No. Do people do that?

6. What's the coolest concert you've ever attended?- The Stones, man!

7. Who's the most skilled guitarist of all time?- Clapton. Maybe he doesn't have the technical skill of some others, but he's the most musical guitarist in rock history.

8. Name a song that just makes you want to break stuff.- Most Slayer songs

9. Name three musicians who died of drug overdoses- Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, Brian Jones

10. What's the best lyric ever written?- I can't pick one, so I'm gonna skip this.

11. If you could experience one band/artist perform live at any point in history, who would it be?-The Doors, probably around 69 or 70

12. If you could master any instrument, which would it be?- Well I've already got one down pretty well, but I wouldn't mind learning keyboards or drums.

13. If you had the power to rid the world of one genre of music, what would be gone?- Byebye emo.

14. What song do you have playing right now?- "Sec Walkin" by My Morning Jacket

15. Greatest album in the history of time?- The Doors by The Doors

16. Is Elvis still The King?- He never was. Chuck Berry is the king.

17. What's your favourite musical?- Jesus Christ Superstar.

18. When you hear the phrase "Rock 'N' Roll" what comes to mind?- The Stones, man

19. Ever wanted to be a D.J.?- Yes, actually

20. If you could sleep with any famous musician, who would it be?- Jenny Lewis