Neil Young Speaks Well of Pres. Bush

RonJonSurfer

Neil Young: 'Bush Deserves More Credit'

Veteran rocker Neil Young has defended George W. Bush for sticking to his vision of how to lead America -insisting the U.S. president deserves more credit than he gets.

The "Heart Of Gold" star, who has lived in California for over 40 years but remains a Canadian citizen, believes Bush isn't as stupid as his public image may suggest.

The 62-year-old says,"You've got to give the guy credit. Do I agree with him? No. Do I think he's stupid? No. Do I think he's a leader? Yes. He led. He took this country where he wanted to take it. And he steadfastly stuck with it all the way."

Copyright World Entertainment News Network 2008

I think the key statement is," He took the country where HE wanted to take it. But,

75% of America did NOT want to be taken in THAT direction. I do not think history will be kind to Bush. The success of the invation of Iraq will not be known for many years and I hope it turns out to be a great decision. Too many good people died to think otherwise. My problem with Bush is that he was the Predident of the Republican Party and not the United States. He campaigned to be a unifier and this he was not.

Edited by Guest

Young was interviewed by Sally Johnson of American Liberalism Today, a popular online magazine. Here is an exclusive excerpt from the interview:

Ms. Johnson: One of the songs reported to be on the album, “Impeach the Presidentâ€, has generated its fair share of pre-release controversy. I take it that you would be in favor of removing President Bush through impeachment?

Neil Young: Absolutely. I think he should be tried for war crimes, and convicted. We need to get him out of there.

Ms. Johnson: And how do you feel about Vice President Cheney?

Neil Young: Oh gosh, don’t get me started. He’s - well, I’ll just say this: he’s every bit as bad as Bush. Maybe worse, even, what with Halliburton. And I hear he recently shot someone while he was hunting without a license… but anyway, like I said, don’t get me started on that. [laughs]

Ms. Johnson: So I take it that you would not prefer that [Vice President] Cheney run the country?

Neil Young: Right, I would not prefer that. We need, I think, someone who isn’t in that camp at all. Someone else completely, I mean.

Ms. Johnson: You do realize that if the President of the United States is impeached, the next person in line for the presidency would be the current Vice President?

Neil Young: I, uh… what?

Ms. Johnson: Meaning that if President Bush were impeached, Cheney would become President. Is this what you’re in favor of?

Neil Young: [Expletive]. I… [substantial pause] Well the, uhm, point of the, you know, the album… uhh, [expletive].

Ms. Johnson: Mr. Young? Mr Young, where are you going?

After Young left for the second time, his publicist suggested that he not return to complete the interview.

:laughing: He's completely lost it, but he's still a genius. Besides, he's Canadian, I don't think even most Americans know the presidential succession.

Neil Young IS out of his head often . A 'genius' is a bit of flattery too far - if Neil really is Canadian , he'd deny it , too .

I think the key statement is," He took the country where HE wanted to take it. But,

75% of America did NOT want to be taken in THAT direction.

This was exactly the early assessment of Winston Churchill, by his contemporaries. "A warmonger looking for a fight," Churchill was never elected PM by the British, though he ran for the office prior to and even after WWII was over. People tend to forget that Neville Chamberlain was seen as the dove of peace after signing The Munich Agreement with Hitler, while Churchill's speeches in Parliment of trouble ahead were met by "boos" and routinely blasted by the press as playing to people's worst fears and agitating the Germans.

I see similarities to the two men's resolute steadfastness, in the face of mounting public criticism. However, Bush has none of the wit, charm and speaking ability of Churchill. This fact, and his inability to wisely use circumstances to his advantage, has cost him any popularity his geo-political stategies might have earned.

^ That's true . However, the Munich Peace Talks should just be remembered but resigned to the historical period in which they belong . They shouldn't be a lesson for all situations and times in the future . They are used far to often by hawks for their own ends , and do not ,except in a very few cases , apply to modern situations .

.. However, the Munich Peace Talks ... except in a very few cases , (do not) apply to modern situations .

All it takes is one case.

Listen, I am by no means a "hawk" (isn't that someone who desperately WANTS war?), but as the saying goes, "For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing." I do not feel President Bush is to be commended for his tactics and certainly not for his lack of candor in sharing his vision with his citizens. However, I feel that, like Churchill, history should be left of evaluate the ultimate good of his course of action. Many seem to be so sure of their own knowledge of foreign affairs and are swift to vilify his actions in the Middle East. I say give it 20 years and then in hindsight we can judge better. Should an ultimate enlightment come to that region (and better yet, spread its roots outward) as a result of the American sacrifice to establish a democracy where there was a terribly corrupt dictatorship whose family lines seemed to stretch well into the 22nd century and beyond, those voices raised against the president now will be silenced by the truth of that future present time, just as the voices have been silenced that once described Churchill as a menace to peace.