Pronunciations Of Names

babyteen

There's this portion of Northeast Pennsylvania, consisting of cities like Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton, and Warrington. All I know is, the name is the Lehigh

Valley. I've started to wonder, how do you pronounce the name Lehigh? My sister tells me it's pronounced like "Lei", as in, a Hawaiian Lei. However, I have a girlfriend of mine from school, a girl named Jessie, whose mother grew up in Allentown. Her mother says the pronunciation is more like "Lee-High". My Uncle Dave, who lives in Warrington, as well as my

Uncle Jake, who lives in Pittsburgh, also say that the pronunciation is "Lee-High". So, which one is right? Is it "Lei"? Or is it "Lee-High"? Also, how do you pronounce the name "Schuylkill", like the Schuylkill River? Is it "Shu-kill"? Or is it more like "Skile-kill"? I'm confused!

"Skooyl-kill"? Sounds a bit strange when it hits the tip of my tongue. When I first looked at the spelling, I could've sworn it was pronounced like the first part in the Dutch Boy's Name "Schuyler". But I guess you would no more about this pronunciation stuff, especially when it comes to placenames, since you're a Pennsylvanian, which I love! As for Lehigh being pronounced like "Lee-high", I wonder why my sister was trying to convince me that it was "Lei". As a matter of fact, I can tell you where she heard the "Lei" pronunciation. When she was flying to Allentown last year, apparently when they landed, the captain or whoever makes the announcement of the landing, said something like, "We have now approached our final descent into Allentown, and would like to welcome you to the "Lei" Valley International Airport". Apparently, this person who gave it the "Lei" pronunciation, and you can correct me if I am wrong, but this person was obviously not a Native or a Resident of Pennsylvania. So, what made my sister think that she could just go on ahead and fool me into believing that her pronunciation was right?

Apparently, this person who gave it the "Lei" pronunciation, and you can correct me if I am wrong, but this person was obviously not a Native or a Resident of Pennsylvania. So, what made my sister think that she could just go on ahead and fool me into believing that her pronunciation was right?

Is your sister a wahine?

Well, my sister is definitely a young woman, but I'm actually referring to the person who originally gave Lehigh the "Lei" pronunciation. I meant to say that this person, who was either the captain or one of the flight attendants on the plane, is obviously not a native or a resident of the state of Pennsylvania.

My sister tells me it's pronounced like "Lei", as in, a Hawaiian Lei.

[big] ...[/big]

So, what made my sister think that she could just go on ahead and fool me into believing that her pronunciation was right?

So, what makes you think my sister's a Wahine?

. . FHLH.jpg That's a joke, son.

[big] -------------[/big]

I meant to say that this person, who was either the captain or one of the flight attendants on the plane, is obviously not a native or a resident of the state of Pennsylvania

bäzöökä sez: Maybe he's Laotian.

I say "off-ten." So there. :neener:

What I hate is how on the U.S. East coast they (by and large) don't pronounce the "g" in words like length, strength... makes me cringe. It's there for a reason, people. :grin:

That's an interestin observation you've ot there. Althouh I have little or no accent (as some of you can attest) I enerally pronounce all of my ees. Reretfully, I offen omit a reat deal of ees when I am typin on SonFacts.