Videos for Prospective Nominations: Post & View Them Here !

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The truth is fine sweetie, thats what I posted them for, the truth! .... it was the no response that got me!!! :P

I know "Go For A Soda" was a one hit wonder, and I didn't really expect many to know it. I've always liked it, just because it's a catchy tune!! ;)

I like At Seventeen, Dizzy and Brandy (You're A Fine Girl). I think all of those heve been nominated before ?

I prefer Helen Reddy's version of Delta Dawn.

I like Andy Kim, but not that one too much, even thought it was his biggest Hit in 1974, not long after the birth of our #3 Child. I prefer So Good Together and Baby I Love You, both 1969, but I was listening to the radio more then. I don't know 'Go For A Soda'.

:)

BTW, what are 'boondocks' ? Sounds like slums or ghettos.

apparently it's more the opposite...

Boondocks may refer to a remote, usually brushy rural area. The expression was introduced to English by American military personnel serving in the Philippines during the early years of the 20th century. It derives from the Tagalog word "bundok", meaning "mountain". It also carries the implication that it is "backward" or "unsophisticated"; hence taga-bundok "people who live in the hinterland": i.e., people who are backward or unsophisticated.

Boondocks or diminutively "the boonies" has since evolved into a more general American slang term for "the country" or any rural/wilderness location in general, regardless of topography or vegetation that is isolated and away from "the action" or the comforts and variety of urban life. A similar word, bundu is part of South African Slang. Equipment suitable for traveling in the boondocks has been jokingly referred to as "boondockers," as contrasted with Dockers brand dress-pants.

Hi dear edna. :)

I think you've nominated that before ? It never made it here in Australia, and I don't really think I'd vote for it ! How about 'Down In The Boondocks' ? I'd vote very highly for that.

Any other Gene Pitney fans here ? This is my favorite of his.

I'm Gonna Be Strong

I like Something's Gotten Hold of My Heart a lot. I don't like I'm Gonna Be Strong that much though, sorry.

For you non -Americans... Wiki is generally correct on what Boondocks are. It usually means rural areas, or areas that are off the beaten track. But in the case of that song, I think he is more intending the "wrong side of the tracks"... the places most more affluent people would never go to.

^ and the Garbage song, right? :);)

Yes, I saw the movie the other night and I loved the song... :) I never heard it before.

Now I doubt... "You´ve got a friend" had very few votes so I might nominate Françoise Hardy instead. Anyways, I don´t think it´ll make it and few people will take the time to listen to it... but I love it! :grin: