Kitty Carlisle Dead at 96

RonJonSurfer

Broadway Star Kitty Carlisle Hart Dies

The 96-year-old Broadway and Hollywood actress died on Tuesday after a long battle with pneumonia. She also became a beloved regular panelist on the game show To Tell the Truth.

Broadway theatres dimmed their lights Wednesday night to honor revered stage and screen star Kitty Carlisle Hart, who died on Tuesday after a long battle with pneumonia.

The 96-year-old actress, who was born in New Orleans, Louisiana and attended a private school in Switzerland, began her career as an opera star before becoming a Hollywood singer.

She made her mark in the movies when she appeared with the Marx Brothers in 'A Night at the Opera.'

Other films followed, including 'Here Is My Heart,' 'Murder At The Vanities,' 'Larceny With Music' and Woody Allen's 'Radio Days.'

But Hart was perhaps best known for her Broadway successes in the mid-1930s. She appeared in operettas like "White Horse Inn" and "Three Waltzes" and the American premiere of Benjamin Britton's "The Rape of Lucretia."

She met composer Moss Hart in 1946 and later married him. The couple was married until the songwriter's death in 1961.

On TV, Hart became a beloved regular panelist on game shows To Tell the Truth and What's My Line.

Copyright World Entertainment News Network 2007

Exactly phil! She always had this high class persona, then would let out this belly laugh at some off color remark (as off color as you could get then), or double entendre.

She was on What's My Line, To Tell The Truth, and I've Got A Secret.