What are you eating or drinking?

Elvish

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been elected to do the baking for this year's Thanksgiving, so I thought I'd cause you all to gain 10 lbs just by reading the list of stuff I'm going to make :grin:

Pumpkin cheesecake

pumpkin bread

Chocolate chip cookies

butterscotch brownies

sour cream pound cake

strawberries and cream braided bread

ultimate cinnamon crumb cake

and all from scratch. No boxes mixes in my kitchen this Thanksgiving! :laughing: whew...

How do you make that Shawna and can you use different kinds of fruit? It sounds really good and I want to try it :D

beware that this is the first time I've tried this recipe, and the bread is rising right now, but I haven't baked it yet so I don't know how it'll come out! :)

Ingredients:

8 ounces Neufchatel cheese, softened

1 pound frozen white bread dough, thawed

1/4 cup strawberry jam

***Glaze***

2 tablespoons granulated sugar

2 cups powdered sugar

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

2 tablespoons skim milk

4 drops red food coloring

1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Directions:

In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, jam, granulated sugar, one teaspoon vanilla extract, and food coloring. Mix well and set aside.

On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to a 10 x 14" rectangle. Carefully transfer dough onto prepared baking sheet. Spread with cream cheese mixture lengthwise down center third of dough.

With a sharp knife, make two inch long cuts at one inch intervals down both of the 14" sides. Fold strips diagonally over filling, overlapping strips to give a braided look. Pinch dough to seal edges.

Let rise in a warm draft free place until doubled in size. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 25 minutes, or until golden brown.

Meanwhile, to prepare glaze, combine powdered sugar, milk, and remaining vanilla extract in a small bowl. Mix until drizzling consistency. Drizzle over bread.

edit: as far as different fruit goes, I don't know about that... I would assume you probably could... or even just cream cheese filling with no fruit maybe?

Edited by Guest

Shawna, my mom used to make a fruit braid (what she called it) every year, along with Monkey Bread. It's wonderful, and I already know, yes, you can use any type of fruit filling. For Christmas, mom used to chop red & green marachino cherries to dot the top with, and sprinkle with raw sugar. Very pretty.

Now I've reminded myself of Monkey Bread. I want some. That means I'll have to make it. :P

Edited by Guest

Your son's reaction was exactly the same as my kids' always was. I guess it's more of an adult have-with-your-coffee sort of thing. Kids generally aren't too impressed with cream cheese, for some reason.

Monkey Bread (Cinammon pullapart bread) is delish. The same frozen bread dough, thawed, and pulled apart into small pieces, rolled into balls. Dip each ball into melted butter, brown sugar, and cinammon, and place into a bundt or angel food cake pan. You can put pecans or walnuts in between as well. Let the whole business rise again together, drizzle over the top with more butter, sugar, etc, put some pecans or walnuts on top for prettiness sake, and bake.

When it's done, you turn it out onto a serving plate, and pull the balls apart, and enjoy (warm). Oh lordy it's good. ;)

Let the whole business rise again together

I love this line. :grin:

that sounds scrumptious, and I plan to make that at Christmas.

On another baking note... did I mention I was going to make pumpkin bread? Well... I did, and it was gratifying, to say the least, when my nephew as he left grabbed a bag, stuffed the rest of the loaf in it, looked at it and said, "If that's all there is, that oughta do."

The recipe I used was from my 7th grade home economics class... it called for the batter to be poured into soup cans. That's how old it is. :laughing:

And oh - the thing about the strawberries and cream bread was that my son thought it was too bread-y, not sweet enough, I guess. It's not the typical sweet bakery donut sort of thing.

Yeah - and so did we! in my home ec class! But I was blown away when i saw that recipe again a few days ago for the first time in over 20 years... it gave me a good laugh. :grin:

I however used loaf pans. And the bread was just as good as I remembered it. Andy has already placed his order for a Christmas pumpkin loaf. :) Next?

I love this line. :grin:

that sounds scrumptious, and I plan to make that at Christmas.

If you two ladies (and I use that term loosely) like the sound of that, you'll really like this. I forgot the nuts go on the bottom. Cause when you turn it out onto the plate, you always want your nuts to be on top. :P:D