What are you eating or drinking?

Elvish

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hehehe...People use to say to me Dandelions???? the weed???..... :P

Dandelions are quite popular here , too , Laurie . They are , infact , a flower but better known as a weed since people dislike them in their lawns . The yellow flower is often used to decorate sushi dishes , etc .

" While the dandelion is considered a weed by many gardeners and lawn owners, the plant does have several culinary uses, and the specific name officinalis refers to its value as a medicinal herb. Dandelions are grown commercially on a small scale as a leaf vegetable. The leaves (called dandelion greens) can be eaten cooked or raw in various forms, such as in soup or salad. They are probably closest in character to mustard greens. Usually the young leaves and unopened buds are eaten raw in salads, while older leaves are cooked. Raw leaves have a slightly bitter taste. Dandelion salad is often accompanied with hard boiled eggs. The leaves are high in vitamin A, vitamin C and iron, carrying more iron and calcium than spinach.[4]

Dandelion flowers can be used to make dandelion wine, for which there are many recipes.[5] It has also been used in a saison ale called Pissenlit (literally "wet the bed" in French) made by Brasserie Fantôme in Belgium. Another recipe using the plant is dandelion flower jam. Ground roasted dandelion root can be used as a coffee substitute. Dandelion root is a registered drug in Canada, sold principally as a diuretic. A leaf decoction can be drunk to "purify the blood", for the treatment of anemia, jaundice, and also for nervousness. Drunk before meals, dandelion root coffee is claimed to stimulate digestive functions and function as a liver tonic. "Dandelion and Burdock" is a soft drink that has long been popular in the United Kingdom with authentic recipes sold by health food shops. It is unclear whether cheaper supermarket versions actually contain extracts of either plant.

The milky latex has been used as a mosquito repellent;[6] the milk is also applied to warts, helping get rid of them without damaging the surrounding skin.[7]

Yellow or green dye colours can be obtained from the flowers but little colour can be obtained from the roots of the plant.[ "

--Wikipedia

Edited by Guest

Musical Interlude: :)

Dandelion ~ The Rolling Stones

Prince or pauper, beggar man or thief

Play the game with every flower you bring

Dandelion don't tell no lies

Dandelion will make you wise

Tell me if she laughs or cries

Blow away dandelion

One o'clock, two o'clock three o'clock, four o'clock chimes

Dandelions don't care about the time