Rayzor

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's what I found on Wikipedia:

As a staff producer at Columbia Records Wilson was one of the 'midwives' of folk-rock, producing three of Bob Dylan's key 1960s albums: The Times They Are a-Changin', Another Side of Bob Dylan, and Bringing It All Back Home, along with the 1965 single, "Like A Rolling Stone." Wilson also produced the final four tracks Dylan recorded for The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, after he replaced John Hammond as Dylan's producer in 1963.[4]

Wilson produced Simon & Garfunkel's 1964 debut LP Wednesday Morning, 3 A.M. which included "The Sounds of Silence". Seizing on local radio interest in the song in Florida and inspired by the huge success of The Byrds' folk-rock version of Dylan's "Mr Tambourine Man", Wilson took the duo's original acoustic track and, without Simon or Garfunkel's knowledge, overdubbed electric instruments, turning the track into a #1 pop hit, helping to launch the folk-rock genre. Simon and Garfunkel, who had already split, re-united after the hit and went on to greater success.

I love those stories behind a song :D

Oh that must be one of the reasons why I'm here :doh: :laughing:

What is "The Sounds Of Silence" by S&G? :angel:

:thumbsup:

I like that story. So he made two hits, two legends -from other two different legends- in the same day... :laughing:

On June 15, 1965, immediately after the recording session of Bob Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone," Wilson took the original acoustically instrumented track of Simon & Garfunkel's 1964 version, and overdubbed the recording with electric guitar (played by Al Gorgoni), electric bass (Bob Bushnell), and drums (Bobby Gregg), and released it as a single without consulting Simon or Garfunkel.

In any case, Bazooka is the best at this...
but in the case of the Klaus Voormann answer, bazooka was taking a wild stab (and erroneous, to boot)

He founded Immediate Records, one of the first independent labels in the UK.
Who is Andrew Loog Oldham?

[smaller]or[/smaller]

Who is Tony Calder?