Is music really that powerful??

Blue Fish

People often tell me that there mood depends on which piece of music they heard first on that day. If its a happy piece their happy, if its sad so are they. i can understand to a degree in the fact that some music makes me cry and other peices make me smile. However to say that music determines what i feel, i wouldn't. It sounds a bit far feached to me as the feelings a piece of music makes me feel are only temperary, but they say it lasts all day. I'm not convinced music is THAT powerful...

I'm telling you just so you know that in my opinion this belongs in another forum and so that next time you start a topic you'll think about whether it might belong in the Music Discussion forum rather than the Random Thoughts one. This is not meant to upset you or anything, I just feel you should know.

Alright. Let's see.

I do think that music is extremely powerful. I believe it can touch people in a way that very few other things can, and it can heavily influence your mood. It does happen to me sometimes that I hear a song in the morning and it affects my mood for the rest of the day, but most of the time it is because this song has triggered a memory, not simply because it was very happy or very sad.

Sometimes when I'm gloomy or unhappy, I'll put on some happier music and it will lift my spirits, and depending on how strong my feelings of unhappiness or whatever were before, it can really make me brighten up for the rest of the day.

Of course it also depends on what happens during the day, I can be extremely happy in the morning due to a song, but when I have a huge row in the afternoon or get bad news, this won't stop me from feeling bad.

I think I'm starting to repeat myself, so I'd better stop. I think my point is Yes, music is very powerful, but I'm not sure if one song can influence your mood for the rest of the day, because it always depends.

Is this making any sense? :crazy:

Kinda. I think what your saying is music can affect feelings (which i agree with) but it won't stop you feeling other feelings throught the day. Also, music can be used as a means to determine what you want to feel ie happy sad whatever.is this correct? i agree with that, but for me it's only temperatry whereas with my friends its the whole day, no matter what else goes on in there life (with the exception of someone dieing).

Music is definitely the most powerful art form there is. When I'm down in out, music is all that keeps me going. Bloof, I don't know if you're actually a musician, but I'm not going to be so cocky as to say that you have to play music to understand it's power. It does help though. I cried like a baby the first time I heard "Echoes" by Pink Floyd. Something about the sound really touched something inside of me. This happens a lot. I don't want to sound melodramatic when I say music saved my life, but it did. A long time ago, I was in a situation that I found increasingly hard to handle. Really, I didn't find life worth living. It was horrible, especially because I was so young (this was in 6th grade, a time when noone should be contemplating death). But something kept me going. I could (and still can) play the fiddle. I had a talent, I could make something beautiful. It became my life, and I never looked back. So in answer to your question, yes, music is unbelievably powerful. Whether you're listening or playing, music defines you.

"Music is your only friend, until the end."

-The Doors