Heart of Gold

Henry David

Now, I am back from my self imposed hiatus, but please don’t make a big deal about it. K? Nice to be back. SPOILERS BELOW

Of course, my first post back has to be about Heart of Gold, the Neil Young DVD. I have been working on this post for a week here and there. This is so important to me, I just adored this movie.

I had waited so long for its release and was not disappointed!!!!!!!!! I saw it on a little indy theater here. Perfect setting. Little old restored “sound movie†theater from the 1930s.

Anyway, the concert was shot a few months after Neil's brain aneurysm surgery. It opens with a few quotes from the band members, personal vignettes with them as they drive into the concert area. You have old time performers here, some have been with Neil a long time. Emmy Lou, of course. Very personal clips that capture the heart of the person being interviewed.

The intent of the movie was to make you feel like you were at the concert and this idea was accomplished marvelously. The cameraman walks up to the ticket girl, as if he is arriving for the show. You take your ticket, off to the left is a boy playing guitar and harp furiously. A nice touch. An unspoken tribute to the man young performers emulate and admire.

Once the concerts begins, you see the absolute genius of the cameramen and the director of this movie. They capture so many little innuendos and emotions of these people. Even a cute scene where Neil "accidentally" splashes his bass player with his harp water. The short exchange of looks is very funny. The camera captures the personalities of these people and their relationship to Neil magnificently! This was an emotional time for them, as no one knew what was going to happen with Neil after this scare.

At the end, we have all of the performers on the stage with guitars, about ten??? Awesome. You come away from the show feeling like you sat in with family and got to know the dynamics of Neil's musical world.

The very end, we have my baby Neil, just him playing in the empty theater. He plays a song, packs his guitar in his case. Puts on his hat, picks up his bag and walks off the stage. Yes, I cried! I was symbolic of all these aging musicians entering their twilight years and cruising into the later stages of life.

It was beautiful! It was brilliant!