Your favorite Pink Floyd album BEFORE Dark Side of the Moon

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Dark Side of the Moon was the moment when everything came together, when the Floyd's superior musical style truly reached its zenith. And the world responded -- the album was on the charts for YEARS longer than any other in history. Before DSOTM, the band put out numerous records, all of them good, all of them full of fresh experimentation. They were trying stuff out, and in a way I like that better than their later albums.

Meddle is probably the closest to Dark Side -- though surprisingly bluesy in style -- and also probably wins my vote (mostly for Echoes). Saucerful and Piper are both amazing as well, if very different. Syd Barrett was a genius....

• 2 weeks later...

Without a doubt "Ummagumma", it goes without saying, that this was a progressive rock first, alongside Yes's self titled debut. Astronomy Domine is one of their legendary masterpieces & Gilmour's initial trademarks, along with Nick Mason's signature percussion performance, that featured a significant source of musicial accord, diverse from expectations placed at the time of release. In comparison, far better off from Barrett's genius.

Ummagumma was even my screen name on this website for a while; with the cover art displayed as avatar.

200px-PinkFloyd-ummagumma.jpg

Ummagumma is just weird.

You gotta give this one album, quite a few listens, and adjust to get the lyrical diversity / harmony it's fair chance, man. On first listen, I had doubts about it's priority amongst Pink Floyd's catalog, eventually it grew on me apart from the others. But then again, it's special in it's own way, apart from the others, it hides in it's own shadows.

Too true lizard; about the "beginning to end" remark. There's a website where you can preview music, to see if it's what you're looking for or have an ideal interest in. I would have to research for the link though, not sure where it's about at the moment.

Without a doubt "Ummagumma", it goes without saying, that this was a progressive rock first, alongside Yes's self titled debut.

Yup, a great album that made a real progression on previous psychedelic sounds. I'd include King Crimson's "In The Court Of The Crimson King", The Moody Blues "Days Of Future Past" and Procol Harum's self titled debut as other groundbreaking early progressive rock albums.

Does anyone know which order these five came out?

Procol Harum, "Procol Harum"

Moody Blues, "Days Of Future Past"

Pink Floyd, "Ummagumma"

Yes, "Yes"

King Crimson, "In the Court of the Crimson King"

I still believe "Atom Heart Mother" was the real revolution in rock music.

Thank you Idler :D for that interesting follow-up, I agree about all of those bands & their distinctive place in the roots of progressive rock. :thumbsup:

King Crimson is often overlooked as being one of the true beginners of the genre, they perform like an obscured melody in the shadows.

Edna, that's interesting; I didn't know that Procol Harum's debut release came out in '67. I guess we learn something new each day. :wink: