baftas: perhaps hinting oscar winners?

invisible_r

from the bbc website:

Bafta 2006: The winners

The full list of winners for the Orange Bafta Film Awards 2006, held the Odeon Leicester Square, central London.

Best film

Brokeback Mountain

Best British film

Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were Rabbit

Best actor in a leading role

Philip Seymour Hoffman - Capote

Best actress in a leading role

Reese Witherspoon - Walk The Line

Best actor in a supporting role

Jake Gyllenhaal - Brokeback Mountain

Best actress in a supporting role

Thandie Newton - Crash

Original screenplay

Crash - Paul Haggis/Bobby Moresco

Adapted screenplay

Brokeback Mountain - Larry McMurtry/Diana Ossana

The David Lean Award for achievement in direction

Ang Lee - Brokeback Mountain

The Carl Foreman Award for special achievement by a British Director/Producer or Writer in their first feature film

Joe Wright (Director) - Pride & Prejudice

Best film not in the English language

De Battre Mon Coeur S'est Arrete

The Anthony Asquith Award for achievement in film music

Memoirs of a Geisha - John Williams

Cinematography

Memoirs of a Geisha

Editing

The Constant Gardener

Production design

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Costume design

Memoirs of a Geisha

Sound

Walk the Line

Achievement in special visual effects

King Kong

Make Up and Hair

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Short animation film

Fallen Art

Short Film

Antonio's Breakfast

Academy Fellowship

David Puttnam

The Michael Balcon Award for Outstanding British Contribution to Cinema

Robert (Chuck) Finch and Bill Merrell

Outside of Reese Witherspoon winning best lead actress, I do not agree with any of the other major categories mentioned in your post.

Hollywood is in the decline and it is obvious. Over the last couple of years how many remakes of movies have opened? Currently we have "When A Stranger Calls" previously from the late seventies and "Pink Panther" from the late sixties in the theatres. Has Hollywood run out of ideas?

don't shoot the messenger, i am just posting the news!

i have no opinion because i haven't watched most of the films, which is why i haven't posted in the oscar pool

anyway, even if they have done some remakes, there are plenty of great films around, i don't see your point

Edited by Guest

Hey invisible...how do you not agree? Do you not think Hollywood has hit us with remake after remake over the last few years. I certainly do. Most times the remakes are worse than the originals and indeed at times insults the original movies.

I am sorry we disagree. In my perspective, making Pink Panther my example here, Steve Martin can be and is a very funny guy. I have enjoyed some of his movies while the others I felt were a waste of two hours of my life. With that said, the Pink Panther will have Martin playing Inspector Clouseau. In my opinion there is only one person that role is suited for and that would be the great English actor Peter Sellers. Anyone else playing that role I regard insults the role.

There have been other times when the remake may not have been possible so they went on to the next generation. An example would be The Mask. I was not a fan of that movie but did Hollywood really have to do "Son of Mask"? That movie was so bad it made Mariah Carey's flop Glitter look half decent.

Lastly, there are the movie sequels. The Planet Of The Apes was the first movie which produced multiple Ape movies following it as well as a remake. Rocky has 5 sequels and a 6th on the way. Alien has 3, Star Wars albeit was in chapters has 6 (but well worth the money), and so on. These sequels become stale after a while and people lose interest.

Hollywood can only recover with fresh ideas. Seeing the same old movies and sequels every few years can and will continue to hurt box office numbers.

One man's opinion!

don't get me wrong, I agree on the remakes, can't think of anything in particular at the moment , but re-hashing the same movie over and over again is not a good thing. Same with sequels, which normally just get worse and worse.

what i don't agree with is that hollywood, or the movie industry in general in not producing anything decent. I think there are some great movies out

Hollywood has got to STOP making movies out of TV shows and previously bad movies. Why was a Dukes Of Hazzard movie made? That had to be abysmal. Then Jessica Simpson destroys , These Boots Are Made For Walking. Nancy Sinatra was not Aretha Franklin, but Jessica Simpson is just brutal. Other bad remakes; Bewitched, Fun With Dick and Jane, The Longest Yard, The Honeymooners and The Pink Panther. What's next a remake of Dharma & Greg?

I agree with you on the TV series movies , Phil . Honestly , how can any studio presume that they will capture the essense and dynamics of any TV series that at the very least would have been built over ~60 episodes , but more often than not , many, many more in a 2 hour movie ? The only movie(s ) that came close , IMO , were the "Addams Family " movies ... as their quirky nature , the short-lived series , and the casting lent itself to a movie rather well . People actually felt they were watching the characters again in a new adventure -- unlike the other attempts , such as Charlie's Angels , Mission Impossible or , as you mentioned , the Dukes of Hazzard or Bewitched .

What's next ? Gunsmoke with Keanu Reeves as Marshall Matt Dillion and Luke Wilson as Festus ? :laughing: :stars: Steve Martin , I confidently predict , will fail miserably as Clouseau -- at least try to get Geoffery Rush who did an excellent characature of him in " The Life And Death Of Peter Sellers " !

Basically, I agree with Jimmy. With a few exceptions, most of the films released by the big Hollywood studios are drek. There are the aforementioned "dreadful" sequels, big budget special effects laden extravaganzas(long on action and very short on plot or characterization) and gorefests like Hostel or Saw. A great many of the most interesting movies are made by samaller, independent studios or by foreign studios. While Hollywood likes to blame the popularity of DVD's and satellite T.V. for declining box office receipts, I believe people are just tired of paying big bucks to watch mediocre or just plain awful films.

As for the Academy Awards, I haven't watched more than 20 minutes of any awards show in more than 10 years. Long, boring acceptance speeches, lame jokes and narcissistic behaviour do not, IMO, make for good television.

Please bring back Billy Crystal!!!