The Aristocrats

PSYCHOcatholic

This is a documentary about a joke. It is a joke only told by comedians to other comedians. The outline of the joke is a man goes into an agent's office and says he has a family act. He then either acts out or describes the most obscene acts possible. The stunned agent says, "And what do you call yourselves?" and the man answers, "The Aristocrats." Each comedian describes how he tells the story. Each is different, each tries to get an element of surprise out of their listeners, who are assumed to be other comedians. The joke is told in parts. It is told in reverse order, by men and by women. Each finds a way to make the joke their own. The genesis of the documentary was when Gilbert Gottfried performed at the Hugh Heffner roast three weeks after the 9/11 attacks. Everyone was almost afraid to laugh and Gottfried came on second after the first act had bombed. Gottfried told a highly obscene version of the joke that totally broke up the audience, changing the tone of the evening. It was never telecast, but changed the whole evening. Penn & Teller produced the movie as a documentary on the joke every comedian knows but never tells on stage.

You guys HAVE to check out the cast! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0436078/

I looked at the title and thought you were talking about "The Aristocats", the awesome Disney cartoon.

MUSICAL INTERLUDE:

Everybody wants to be a cat,

because a cat's the only cat

who knows where it's at.

Everybody's pickin' up on that feline beat,

'cause everything else is obsolete.

Now a square with a horn,

can make you wish you weren't born,

ever'time he plays;

and with a square in the act,

he can set music back

to the caveman days.

I've heard some corny birds who tried to sing,

but a cat's the only cat

who knows how to swing.

Who wants to dig

a long-haired gig

or stuff like that?

When everybody wants to be a cat.

A square with that horn,

makes you wish you weren't born,

ever'time he plays;

and with a square in the act,

he's gonna set this music back

to the Stone Age days.

Everybody wants to be a cat,

because a cat's the only cat

who knows where it's at;

while playin' jazz you always has a Welcome mat,

'cause everybody digs a swingin' cat.

Everybody digs a swingin' cat.

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Paul, have you actually seen the movie, or just heard about it? I remember Soulgirl saw it and gave it a scathing review a while back. She said how filthy and disrespectful it was. I've heard of it and still want to see it. To me, the filthier the better, but I do agree that sometimes vulgar just for the sake of being vulgar isn't good.

Yeah...ive always said that bad language is needed to get the point across and in a movie if someone is so pissed off they just start shouting every word in the book...i laugh so hard. But, when your not being funny...and your trying to be and using curse words...not into that.

I plan on purchasing it soon, or renting it today. Ive always been into comedians and i remember its what really started me in theatre...cause thats where alot of other famous actors started. Robin Williams went to Guilliard and roomed with Christopher Reeve...if only i was good enough and had the ambition to do it all.

Now...maybe you know...of this Joke that they speak of?

Maybe SoulGirl would help us out on this?

Edited by Guest

hey, peaches remembered correctly - i hated this movie and walked out of it halfway through crying and retching.you can read what i wrote here.

the joke is just as you said. man walks into talent agent's office, says 'have i got an act for you!' then each person who tells the joke has a free licence to say the most disgusting thing he can possibly imagine. the talent agent asks 'what do you call yourselves?' and he says 'the aristocrats'

the point of the joke isn't the punchline but the 'creative imagination' involved in coming up with something as revolting and offensive as possible. the one that upset me the most was a comedienne who was actually pregnant describing an act involving her, a man and the baby in her womb. i can't go into detail because it would be deleted immediately!

just a word of warning, don't be fooled by the cast list - i went to see it just because of who was involved abnd didn't expect it to be so offensive. i don't mind offensive things usually - i adore family guy for example. i'd be very interested to hear what any of ye think about it tho!

Wow...

Well...i probably will view it just to get a first hand glimpse at what your talking about. When people start talking about dead babies and jokes on that level...i really cant take it. Ive only ever walked out of one movie before too...it was called What the Bleep do we Know? It was a documentary on the brain...but i thought it was gonna be so much more...then they started denouncing God and everything that society had come to believe...so i left. When people start offending my beliefs on that level...it hurts. So...ill view The Aristocats and get back to you guys.

Thanks for the warning Gisella! I just gotta remember to keep an open mind... You Rock!

Wow...ive seen it, yes there were parts that kinda made me flinch, but then again...i guess there were parts that made me spit my drink out from laughing so hard.

Ill um, give it a 7/10. I guess i just stayed very open minded and expected the worse. They took it very far...but i expected it. Bob Saget was surprising but he has a reputation for it. South Park bit was funny! Oh well, some of it they cleaned up, some they didnt. Robin Williams actually had taste in it.