Pandora

Earth-Angel

Pandora - the online personal music station that is as unique as you make it.

Insanely easy to use and explore/discover and experience new and exciting bands in the style of the songs and bands you love the most :)

You can have as many stations as you like created uniquely for you. They also explain why they have chosen the songs to compliment the one you originally entered, and give some additional info on the bands.

There is also a "guide us" tab which allows you to give feedback on their song choices and influence future song choices on that particular station.

You are also able to make new stations based on any song played as well as purchase directly from their website such as individual songs off iTunes and Amazon (although I would recommend using the Amazon link at the header of Songfacts for album purchases instead).

Enjoy :guitar:

Excellent - I typed in Sisters Of Mercy and it came up with the band themselves and everything similar, from Godsmack to Coal Chamber.....

A few others I typed in have come back with songs I've not heard in a very long time...great suggestion.

Shame you have a limited number of 'skips', and that if you're a resident outside the US you shouldn't really register due to licensing :crazy:

I agree that it would be nicer if you could "skip" through more tracks. It seems it is due to licencing issues too. I imagine because they play the music for free and there is no required registration of your details or a subscription fee (all a subby does is remove the adverts - I haven't encountered any anywhere on the site though, not even a pop up - fab!).

I keep it on in the background so I don't really interact with it too much which is handy as it keeps selecting good matching music without me having to alt+tab out of the game or database I'm working on to skip or rate a random song as awful.

Glad you heard some good tracks :)

Edit: I've just been asked to register and it is a requirement that you're over 13 and a resident of the USA to use the service. Nuts :/

Edited by Guest

I must have missed that one, sounds like Launchcast though.

I had some problems with Launchcast: the constant advertisements and some songs weren't available in all regions, even though they would play randomly - you somehow couldn't select them (I was in Sweden at the time).

I really liked it because you could view loads of music videos for free which was superb, but that ran out too when I had used up all my free hours :(

• 5 months later...

I was listening to a Mac Geek podcast, when an interested Hong Kong lstener mentioned an audio website: http://www.pandora.com

A few caveats: You can listen w/o subscribing, but you will have ads along with your tunes. A broadband connection is a must unless you like herky-jerky audio: 1 second of audio followed by a "rebuffering the cache" interval of silence, then another second of audio. (I'm a dialup POTS Internet plodder who has better uses for $30+/month than spending it on Cable or DSL connections.)

Otherwise, when the page finishes loading, type in a song or artist that you like, and see/hear what else the sitebot has found "submitted for your approval." (It looks/sounds like www.last.fm, but that's another kettle of sardines.) :headphones:

1. AUTHORIZED USERS

1.1 U.S. Residents; Age Requirement; Authority. In order to use any of the Pandora Services, you must be a resident of the United States of America and at least 13 years of age. You represent that (i) you have read and understood, and that you agree to be bound by, this Agreement and (ii) you are at least 13 years old. If you do not agree to, or cannot comply with, any of these terms and conditions of this Agreement, please do not check the acceptance box and do not attempt to access any of the Pandora Services.