Janis...35 years gone but still Rockin'!

Sweet Jane 61

Yestreday I spent at least three hours listening to Janis Joplin. We were driving and we found some Janis tapes ("Cheap thrills" and some compillations)... she´s one of the greatest. jmp0023fp5pb.jpg

I still remember when I learned she died... I was reading the newspaper in the schoolyard and I told my friends... we were astonished.

Janis was a lost soul...she longed for real love and looked in all the wrong places trying to find it, and drugs killed the lonliness and pain. Funny thing is, if she hadn't of been so deep with pain maybe she would have not been the singer she was. You know with Janis every word comes from within her, deep in the soul. And who can't identify with that at a point in their life? She was a gift, too bad she never realized it.

Janis was a lost soul...she longed for real love and looked in all the wrong places trying to find it, and drugs killed the lonliness and pain. Funny thing is, if she hadn't of been so deep with pain maybe she would have not been the singer she was. You know with Janis every word comes from within her, deep in the soul. And who can't identify with that at a point in their life? She was a gift, too bad she never realized it.

I would have said the same thing Jane. I'm an extreme Janis admirer. When people talk about the blues, they tend to leave her out, a lot of people identify her with the late 60's San Francisco sound, but that was psychedelic/electric, not really Janis' style at all. Even her upbeat songs were really sad, looking back, cause you know she was stoned out of her mind. Her personal life was so sad.

• 3 months later...

Happy Birthday Janis!! I know you aren't here with us but I bet you are rockin' out wherever you may be!!

Here is a quote I found...

"In the words of biographer Myra Friedman, “It wasn’t only her voice that thrilled, with its amazing range and strength and awesome wails. To see her was to be sucked into a maelstrom of feeling that words can barely suggest.†She was a dynamic singer who shred her vocal cords on driving psychedelic rockers like “Combination of the Two†and then deliver a delicate, empathetic reading of George Gershwin’s “Summertime.â€

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...