Lennon: A jealous and violent guy..

RonJonSurfer

Lennon's First Wife Claims he Hit Her

In her book, "John", Cynthia Lennon reveals a darker side to his character.

Daily Post; Liverpool

John Lennon's first wife has revealed a darker side to his character in a book about him.

In her book, "John", Cynthia Lennon, who met the former Beatle when they were teenagers, gives a very different account of Lennon's childhood than the one given by previous biographers.

Cynthia married Lennon in 1962 and had a son, Julian, before splitting up in 1968 after he met Yoko Ono, who became his second wife. She describes Lennon as "a demanding lover" who insisted Cynthia put him before everything else.

His former wife writes: "I discovered that John's temper could be frightening. He wanted proof daily that he mattered most to me. All sense of reason disappeared and his tantrums could be awesome."

She describes how on one occasion he "went mad" after she danced with his best friend, Stuart Sutcliffe.

She writes: "Before I could speak, he raised his arm and hit me across the face, knocking my head into the pipes that ran down the wall behind me. Without a word, he walked away, leaving me dazed, shaky and with a sore head.

"I could put up with his outbursts, the jealousy and possessiveness but not the violence."

Cynthia also reassesses the traditional view of Lennon's relationship with his Aunt Mimi, who removed him from his mother when he was five, and describes how he dreamt of escaping from her.

She writes: "He was taken away from his mother and brought up in a cold austere home with little affection or comfort."

Cynthia said Mimi, who died in 1991, "battered away at John's self confidence and left him angry and hurt. She constantly hounded and oppressed him."

In contrast, Lennon's mother, Julia, is described as a stable loving parent who was forced to give him up after Mimi reported her to social services. She was killed when he was 16.

The book also deals with the marriage split which Cynthia attributes to Lennon's drug taking.

In the forward, their son, Julian, writes: "Dad was a great talent, a remarkable man who stood for peace. But at the same time, he found it very hard to show peace and love to his first family, my mother and me. To me he was the father I loved who let me down me in so many ways."

I saw John lennon himself on a documentary talking about this, admitting he used to hit his wife and all... He also talked about this in some interviews, all of them after he met Yoko Ono. He never denied his violent personality and that´s what was amazing about Yoko Ono, she really seemed to tame him.

John Lennon had a posthumous award some four years ago as the symbol of peace. His son Julian said that it was funny because he never knew any peace with his dad at home.

John also hated "Run for your life" as it showed the real and worse part of himself...

If you are a "student" of John Lennon's music (as many SongFactors are) then it is no secret that he had a nasty streak in him that could be violent. It is no surprise that he was abusive if you listened to songs like "Run For Life". Jealousy was there too...as a matter of fact, John suffered from many human weaknesses.

Cynthia sure didn't see the good side of rock superstardom and I'm sure the prime motivation for this book now is money. John's legend is intact and little anybody can say will change it. Even being a huge Lennon fan, I don't begrudge her writing her book and making a buck.

Probably so, Peaches. I remember a few years back Julian had to practically beg for money from Yoko. She graciously gave him 5 million. You know, 5 million to his mostly abandoned first and most talented child. 5 million out of upwards of a billion dollar estate. She probably had to put some lyrics on a placemat to get that back.

So I'm guessing Cynthia didn't get a whole lot.

Edited by Guest
potty mouth

She got very little compared to what she could have had. Her son did get very little or nothing too. Even John lennon complained about how he couldn´t see Julian grow up and that´s why he wanted to be all the time with his son Sean.

In any case, Cynthia Powell has always been very discreet, though she couldn´t avoid to be on the press each time she got married, divorced, did something, etc.

She even appears on the "Imagine" movie, talking and telling. I remember the headlines when they got divorced, she said "you cannot live with an institution". She was very tired of it all but he was the only men in her life and still must be the main one...

Her life with John Lennon might be interesting for some fans but all this is very well known, as RonJon said. I believe she needs money...