Most influential drummers in history

Mike

I played the drums for many years as a child, my son loves to play when we frequently visit the music store and I'll probably be getting him his first set next year if all goes as planned.

I've been reading alot lately about drummers, some greats were of course, Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa.

Then there is the very best Neil Peart, John Bonham, Bill Bruford, Keith Moon, and Ginger baker.

I believe these guys have had the greatest "influence" on drumming today!

I'm a drummer too. When it comes to influential I think Ringo has to be right up there. He probably sold more Ludwig drumsets than all their other endorsers combined. Although he sometimes gets critisized as being too "basic", his drumming was solid and sometimes quite creative.

Others that had huge influences are some of the guys who were in the background (studio guys) that played on big hits.

Hal Blaine it's said played on more than 350 top ten records and 40 number one hits. His drumming can be heard on the early records of the Beach Boys, Mamas & Papas, Simon & Garfunkel, the Fifth Dimension to name a few. He was the "go to" guy for Phil Spector and if you want an example of an influential piece of drumming listen to the first two bars of "Be My Baby" by the Ronnettes.

Then there are the great drummers of the Motown sound Uriel Jones, Benny Benjamin, and Pistol Allen who between them played on all the Detroit recorded hits of the Temptations, Supremes, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Gladys Knight, etc.

One more I'll leave you to think about is Jim Keltner who was the beat behind tons of great artists including Dylan, John Lennon, Clapton, Jackson Browne,Joe Cocker, and many others.

It amazes me that these studio guys can jump into a session and not only play something solid but also be creative and lend a great feel to songs that we all know and love.

They are the unsung heroes of the music industry.

I don't know his name, but the drummer (and frontman) for Rare Earth was one of the first rockers to utilize double bass drums (at about the same time as Ginger Baker.) I was fortunate to go to one of their concerts and the guy could really get it. And Whoa.. he sang lead as well.

The drummer on Santana's "Soul Survivor" was amazing.

Jim Keltner also played for Delaney and Bonnie as well as the smooth sounding drums on Derek and the Dominoes' "Bell Bottom Blues."

The drummer on Santana's "Soul Survivor" was amazing.

from one of my posts about Woodstock:

As the original drummer for Santana, Michael Shrieve (<) at the age of 19 was the youngest performer at Woodstock.

He has continued in a varied and very interesting career since that famous Soul Sacrifice * solo.

He is not recognized nearly enough.

*(Soul Survivor is a Rolling Stones song.)

I don't know his name, but the drummer (and frontman) for Rare Earth was one of the first rockers to utilize double bass drums (at about the same time as Ginger Baker.)

Interesting note about double bass drums. The first guy I know of to use double bass was Sonny Greer with the Duke Ellington Orchestra. The tradition was picked up by Louis Bellson when he joined Ellington. Ginger Baker was certainly one of the most visible drummers to popularize the concept in rock. Double bass drums became almost a staple of rock drummers until reliable double pedals became available allowing drummers to produce the same beats while only having to haul around one bass drum.

Oops, I have to correct some bad info here. Sonny Greer had a huge drum kit including tympani and lots of other assorted drums but not double bass. I found this quote in a drum history book from Louis Bellson " I sketched the first double bass drum idea in high school art class around 1938. My teacher, Mr Faber looked at it and asked me what it was, and I said "well this is a new idea for a drum kit with two bass drums instead of one" of course I didn't realize it would mushroom into quite a thing. About the same time I did (the double bass drum setup) Ray McKinley came out with two bass drums. I guess both of us had the idea at the same time." In the same book is a quote from Ginger Baker about his set-up "I started playing two bass drums in 1966 with Cream. I got the idea from seeing people like Louis Bellson with Duke Ellington. That's what got the idea in my head."

Michael's "solo" was certainly memorable and we forget about the other Santana percussionists who gave that solo a distinct and unique sound for rock at the time. Michael gets the credit but I submit it was a great team effort.

Other memorable solos that come to mind:

Ron Bushy - In a Gadda da Vida

Steve Gadd - Aja (Steely Dan)

Ringo - The End

Kenny Aronoff - Jack & Diane (actually a break as opposed to a full out solo)

Danny Seraphine - I'm A Man (Chicago)

Carl Palmer - KarnEvil 9

Lots of others. Lets hear some of yours.