Forming your own opinions

Earth-Angel

My question is:

When it comes to musical tastes, are you willing to sway your opinion on a song or band because of someone else's opinion? If you've heard a song or artist before and you didn't like them the first time, what would it take for you to reform your opinion? I know some people feel; you either love it or you hate it, anything inbetween is saving face. Has anyone had a change of heart about a great band that they hated before?

to the first question: yes, but it also really depends on how I'm feeling about this person - if it's a good friend then I'm very willing to give the band another chance and maybe even change my mind, but if it's a person I barely know or tolerate then it could be that I'll let it slide with a polite answer :P

and I can't think of any bands I hated and then changed my opinion about them, but quite a few where I was pretty much indifferent about (I'm not one of those "you either love or hate them" people ;) )

Same here...

I can be swayed on bands that I just never cared to listen to before or just assumed I wouldn't like. I can't be swayed on music that I KNOW I don't like, for instance all of those new pop kids. I don't like them, I don't like their music and no amount of "opinion" is going to sway me.

Same here...

I can be swayed on bands that I just never cared to listen to before or just assumed I wouldn't like. I can't be swayed on music that I KNOW I don't like, for instance all of those new pop kids. I don't like them, I don't like their music and no amount of "opinion" is going to sway me.

no, I didn't say that, I think it could be possible - I just can't remember it happening until now...

to the first question: yes, but it also really depends on how I'm feeling about this person - if it's a good friend then I'm very willing to give the band another chance and maybe even change my mind, but if it's a person I barely know or tolerate then it could be that I'll let it slide with a polite answer :P

I completely agree with that.

And I don't think I've ever had a change of heart as such... I might not have liked the first two or three songs I heard by a band I like now, and then realised a year later that not all their songs are bad (I couldn't stand My Generation the first time I heard it for example, but well, I was young and foolish then :P ), but I never went from 'bad' to 'great' with a band.

I think I've been through 180 degree changes of heart. I can't recall any specific examples, but they've all been in the positive direction. Liking something I didn't much care for originally. It's usually brought about by listening to it more carefully, not so much the opinion of friends.

I think I've been through 180 degree changes of heart. I can't recall any specific examples, but they've all been in the positive direction. Liking something I didn't much care for originally. It's usually brought about by listening to it more carefully, not so much the opinion of friends.

Just my thought. Only that many times it´s been friends who suggested to me "listen to it carefully"... :)