Lennon or Sir McCartney?

MuzikTyme

Yes, but how did John's decade solo compare with his seven as a Beatle? About on par with Paul's, I'd say.

Anyway, it's a dubious question. I think we would all agree that John and Paul both contributed enormously to the Beatles mix, and we would all probably agree that George and Ringo added rather less, although still a significant amount. George Martin was obviously in the mix too, as well as Geoff Emerick and others to a lesser degree.

Now we might argue about whether John or Paul was ever so slightly the most important, but is it significant? We do know that neither of them, that NONE of them, were ever again as wonderful. Perhaps John and maybe Paul too fleetingly approached the brilliance of the Beatles, but I think we have to acknowledge that the pairing, the entire group, and the larger creative circle around them, was quite magical and irreplaceable.

But if you are just looking for an argument, I'll just say that at the moment the Beatles ended, George Harrison was their greatest songwriter ;-)

See ya,

LBBB

ps., to be honest, while I'll give John and Paul equal marks for songwriting, singing, and general inspiration, I have to give Paul that little bit extra for that extraordinary bass-playing. Whatever else you say about John, he really wasn't a very significant player (ducks head)...

Edited by Guest

If you look at it as a business partnership then everybody has a clear role.

John Lennon - John had a vision, a dream of being a rock star. He had the raw talent, the agressive personality and the desire to succeed. In the beginning of any potential business opportunity, the guy with the idea will tell his story to anybody that will listen and who can help him achieve his goals. Hopefully the person or people you find will share the vision and bring different components of success to the table.

Then John met...

Paul McCartney - Paul was an equally talented musician and creative force. But he also had the business sense and savvy to look ahead to the overall direction of the band. Don't just live for today..enjoy today, but plan for the future. Paul looked after the business known as the Beatles. He allowed John to escape the corporate side of the business. He knew the value of hiring skilled businessmen to make sure things were accounted for on the money and promotion side. Even knowing this, there were mistakes, but overall Paul kept the Beatles going and growing through good and bad times.

And Paul had a friend...

George Harrison - A young guy with good ideas and talent that could help make the business grow...a good middle management type with skills and a good head on his shoulders. He would never really get an equity position with the firm, but the owners would milk him as long as possible. There was always the fear he could leave, so make sure he is treated right and his loyalty will be evident. George Harrison was there from the beginning stayed until the business broke up. You can't find employees like that any these days.

The partners and management needed to replace a weak link so...

Richard "Ringo" Starkey - Every once in a while, somebody gets fired and it isn't clear why? Jealousy? Personality? Work ethic? Skills? No good reason at all? Pete Best fell into one of these categories and was getting the boot. Fortunately, there was a local guy that had a fine reputation. He would be responsible for the grunt work and would do it without question. Ringo was recruited into the firm and the working core of the greatest rock band ever was in place.

The business known as the Beatles had an amazing unprecented run. They made money, created music, set standards that were previously unheard of in their industry.

Nearly a half century after incorporation, The Beatles franchise still earns millions upon million of dollars every year. The surviving partners and the estates of those who are gone, still reap the rewards of this little venture.

Every one of us still benefits from John, Paul, George and Ringo too.

But if you are just looking for an argument, I'll just say that at the moment the Beatles ended, George Harrison was their greatest songwriter ;-)

Yeah I'd have to agree there.

George didn't write too many songs, but when he did, they were perfect.

Out of John and Paul I'd have to pick John. Paul has the more accessible pop music, but John has the real artistic music.

I used to prefer Lennon, lately I prefer Paul. I've just kind of come to the realization that when I listen to music I'm more interested in it being good pop than good art. My thoughts are that good pop is always good art, but good art is not always good pop.