Madrid Plane Crash Kills At Least 140

Farin

[smaller]© SPON 08/20/2008 Link[/smaller]

A major plane crash at a Madrid airport on Wednesday has left at least 140 dead according to rescue workers. During takeoff, the Spanair jet bound for the Canary Islands swerved off the end of the runway and broke into flames.

A passenger jet crashed and broke out in flames at a Madrid airport in Spain on Wednesday afternoon killing most of the passengers and crew on board. A spokesperson for rescue workers said that only 26 of the 173 passengers and crew could be saved.

Rescue workers reported that the aircraft never took off and instead swerved off the end of the runway around 2:45 p.m. Right as the plane sought to begin its takeoff, the twin engine McDonnell Douglas MD-80 aircraft's left engine caught on fire, according to eyewitnesses, and it lost control as it shot down the runway, eventually veering off the end, breaking into two and going up in flames.

The plane had been carrying passengers on a scheduled flight from Madrid to the Las Palmas in the Canary Islands, a popular Spanish holiday destination off the coast of West Africa.

A spokesperson for the airport's operater, Aena, said the plane was operated by Spanair, the country's third-largest airline. An Aena employee said that plane had been "completely destroyed and the injured were sprawled all over the place." By 4:30 p.m. the fire had been extinguished.

Eleven fire trucks and a helicopter were dispatched to provide emergency services at the scene.

Air traffic was stopped temporarily at Madrid's Barajas Airport on Wednesday afternoon, but limited takeoffs and landings resumed later in the day. Meanwhile, psychologists from the Red Cross are on the scene providing care to family members of passengers effected by the plane crash.

According to Spanish media reports, Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero broke off his vacation to fly back to Madrid following the plane crash.

dsl/wires

pictures

I just came home from work... got emails from people wondering if we were all doing fine... I still don´t know anything about that... I have friends who go to those islands, my sister and law, her husband and the two kids (7 and 5) took that very plane two weeks ago... :P

The airport is at some 8 miles from my neighborhood.