Sounds and Symbolism

RonJonSurfer

My office is about a half block from a train station and across the street from a funeral home.

I am usually oblivious to the sounds outside, but this morning they couldn't be ignored.

First I heard the sound of bagpipes warming up for a funeral that was about to take place. As they warmed up (outside) a thunderstorm began to rumble through. They played through the thunder and then a train cruised into the station with it's horn blaring and brakes squealing....the next thing you know....(some time had passed)...I hear the bagpipe ending the funeral procession, the sound of the train rumbling out of the station and saw the sun break through with the brightest of rays shooting through the clouds.

• 11 months later...

While in NYC we went to see Ground Zero...I didn't really know what to expect on our walk there...As we were walking by the site, I could hear the faint sound of someone playing the flute...It was a very sad sounding song....The sound of the flute was getting stronger as we walked... We saw this old man sitting on the curb playing the flute...I got this very sad, but strange feeling while walking by and seeing pictures of all the people we lost on 9/11...