What songs surprise you to have made it to the top ten?

Mike

I can, at times, think of a song that, when I remember or discover, actually made it into the top ten billboard charts and it actually shocks the shinola out of me. Rating right up there next to why Gilligans Island or Gomer Pyle attracted such huge audiences.

But I digress.

One song that recently came to mind in this, "why it became so popular" category, is Muskrat Love by the Captain and Tennille. This piece of crap made it to number #4 in 1976! #4!!!?????

Your turn.

It seldom surprises me when crocks of utter cack make it into the charts. At any given moment, the charts are comprised mainly of songs which probably should never have been recorded.

But, for my part, I will never, ever understand the phenomenal chart success of Kajagoogoo's "Too Shy"; a band / record so utterly dismal that they might just as well have been marketed as "the sound caused by the accelerated putrefaction of the human soul".

We Built This City by Starship was a #1 hit in 1985.

To me, it is one of the most incomparably cloying songs ever.

-----------

add:

Fame by David Bowie, a #1 in '75.

Sure, the Funky music is good, but the whiney sing-songy vocals make me turn this one off.

Never understood why anybody could bear to listen more than once to "Do that to me one more time" by Captain and Tenille.......

That stupid flute!

That faked passionate voice!

Also nominated: all songs that have whistling in them, like "Jealous Guy" by Brian Ferry.