Killing Joke bassist Paul Raven: RIP

blind-fitter

Since Killing Joke is one of my all-time favourite bands, I was saddened to learn today that bass-player Paul Raven died over the weekend.

Raven was not the original Killing Joke bassist: that was Martin "Youth" Glover, who went on to be a successful and highly-acclaimed music-producer after leaving the Joke. It was difficult at the time (1982)to see how anyone could step in to Youth's shoes, so it was with some trepidation that I went to see Killing Joke on the "Birds Of A Feather " tour (Sheffield Lyceum), but I needn't have worried: Raven was just the ticket. He was with Killing Joke through their most commercially-successful years, left the band, rejoined, etc. The last time I saw Killing Joke (early 2006) Raven was there and still a kick-ass bassist, glowering and smirking in equal measure.

In between his stints with Killing Joke, Raven has also latterly been playing bass with industrial giants Ministry. Pre-Joke he was in glam-punk/new-wave combo Neon Hearts, and has also been involved with many other "name" bands , including New York thrash -metallers Prong, industrial-noise supergroup Pigface, Murder Inc (with Killing Joke guitarist Geordie Walker and ex-PIL drummer Martin Atkins), as well as collaborations with UK industrial grind-core merchants Godflesh. At the time of his death, Raven was in France working with French-Swiss industrial combo Treponem Pal.

Obituary for Paul Vincent Raven