I Shall Be Released

Carl

Not that there's ever a clear meaning with Bob Dylan lyrics, but any idea what's going on in his song "I Shall Be Released," which was recorded by the band in 1968?:

They say ev'rything can be replaced,

Yet ev'ry distance is not near.

So I remember ev'ry face

Of ev'ry man who put me here.

I see my light come shining

From the west unto the east.

Any day now, any day now,

I shall be released.

They say ev'ry man needs protection,

They say ev'ry man must fall.

Yet I swear I see my reflection

Some place so high above this wall.

I shall be released.

Standing next to me in this lonely crowd,

Is a man who swears he's not to blame.

All day long I hear him shout so loud,

Crying out that he was framed.

I shall be released.

I've always heard the death penalty theory also, that it's speaking of a man awaiting the "release" from the hell of being an innocent man wrongly imprisoned, that death will bring. There is a very solemn, religious hymnal quality about it, that is represented by the reference to "my light come shining from the west unto the east". That is an apocalyptic reference.

However, I pulled out Robert Shelton's biography "No Direction Home" and he gives the song a different meaning. After Dylan's motorcycle accident in 1966, when he was 25, he retreated from the spotlight. This was after he had suffered great disappointment at the reception his European and American tour dates brought. He'd been boo'd offstage, called a traitor, and seen attendance drop at some of his concert dates.

Dylan was seriously injured in the accident, and Shelton states Dylan withdrew not only to recuperate, but to spend the time in self reflection, and with his family. He goes further, saying that the song represents Dylan's search for personal salvation. To me this makes sense, with the song later becoming the anti-death penalty anthem.

However, I pulled out Robert Shelton's biography "No Direction Home" and he gives the song a different meaning. After Dylan's motorcycle accident in 1966, when he was 25, he retreated from the spotlight. This was after he had suffered great disappointment at the reception his European and American tour dates brought. He'd been boo'd offstage, called a traitor, and seen attendance drop at some of his concert dates.

Dylan was seriously injured in the accident, and Shelton states Dylan withdrew not only to recuperate, but to spend the time in self reflection, and with his family. He goes further, saying that the song represents Dylan's search for personal salvation.

I agree with this. I also read that it´s a song about the personal liberation of any man. He´s becoming religious. And I love this song, it´s one of my Top Dylan songs... :thumbsup: