Mott the Hoople ?

logan01

I believe it was Mott the Hoople and the song was heavy on the instruments and the only "lyrics" I recall were along the line of (in sound only) "doodle ooh, doodle ooh, doodle ooh, doo..... then it would repeat itself. Bad description. Too many years and thought processes ago. Thanks folks.

If this is the song you're thinking of, Logan, you've guessed the group correctly.

Mott The Hoople had a song where, if you didn't know what the lyrics were, the chorus sounded like "doodle oh, doodle oh, doodle oh, doo".

This is my 2nd favorite Mott The Hoople song.

"All The Way From Memphis"

Here is a link to listen to the song in it's entirety on you tube, and also the lyrics.

"All The Way From Memphis" ~ Mott The Hoople

Forgot my six-string razor - hit the sky

Half way to Memphis 'fore I realised

Well I rang the information - my axe was cold

They said she rides the train to Oreoles

Now its a mighty long way down the dusty trail

And the sun burns hot on the cold steel rails

'N I look like a bum 'n I crawl like a snail

All the way from Memphis

Well I got to Oreoles y'know - it took a month

And there was my guitar, electric junk.

Some spade said "Rock 'n' rollers, you're all the same.

Man that's your instrument." I felt so ashamed.

Now its a mighty long way down rock 'n' roll

Through the Bradford Cities and the Oreoles

'N you look like a star but you're still on the dole

All the way from Memphis

Yeah it's a mighty long way down rock'n'roll

From the Liverpool docks to the Hollywood Bowl

'N you climb up the mountains 'n you fall down the holes

All the way from Memphis

Yeah its a mighty long way down rock 'n' roll

As your name gets hot so your heart grows cold

'N you gotta stay young man, you can never be old

All the way from Memphis

Yeah its a mighty long way down rock 'n' roll

Through the Bradford Cities and the Oreoles

'N you look like a star but you're really out on parole!

All the way from Memphis

Nope. I do appreciate your help. You're right about the song; an absolute classic. The song I'm recalling was really heavy on the guitars, organ,etc. All playing the same notes in unison. The "lyrics" are near soprano in pitch performed by one person. Instead of doodle, the sound is more like pronouncing the word yodel. Yodel doe, yodel doe, yodel doe, yodel doe, yodel doe, yodel doe, yodel doe, doe. Ahh, ah, ahh, ah, ahh, ah ah ah! At this point, the metal - like music plays. I now submit an embarrassing, self recording of me yodeling, AHing, and playing air guitar and ghost organ. It should be really entertaining. The file, though short in time (approx 30 sec) is about 4.8mb. I guess it has something to do with the bit rate which I know nothing about. Upon completion of listening to this "masterpiece", please destroy and disavow any knowledge of its existence.

http://download.yousendit.com/1E50D48B677F87C1

Hi RonJon. Listened to the song today (after 30+ years) and really appreciated it. It's impressive how good that song is considering the techno gap. Probably the same with surfers of that era as well. Ah, the days of great concerts for little or no money. Calgon........ :cool: