Gender vocals poll

Mike

When I was very young I originally thought Franki Vali (Four Seasons) voice was female, (some people still think so) and I liked it. I like Petula Clark. As I started listening to rock and roll, I really liked Heart, Blondie, Joan Jett, Belinda Carlile, Carole King and Carly Simon. I often find myself needing to regularly hear a mix of both female and male singing voices. I don't really prefer either, just like them both fairly equally.

This began me thinking, does anyone prefer one over the other?

Well that's another great point.

What types of music may be better delivered with a female voice than male or vise-versa. Is R&B better by male? Soft and tender love songs better by female to males? Country? Not too many rapp songs by female artists are there? I don't really pay much attention to that genre. And what about duets, there are some very good male/female duets out there.

I prefer female vocals, by far, but its hard to actually have it work in rock music(which I predominantly listen to). I've had the biggest crush on Shirley Manson since I first heard Garbage... But other than Sneaker Pimps, that's pretty much the only bands with a female vocalist that I even listen too.

I think if done right, female vocalists can lead some of the most beautiful music possible... But there's just so much room for error. I can remember listening to Kitty after a friend was bugging me about it.. And I have to say, it wasn't enjoyable. The screeching and grunting made my blood curdle, yet I can stomach any metal band with a male vocalist.

Maybe it's a little chauvinistic, on my part but when I listen to woman singing, I expect her to sing as pretty and she looks :P

Hey, thanks Seeker. I've been around (and a member of) the main site for quite some time now, and I finally decided to check out the forums. Seems like a cool place. And I know I'll be around a bit because all my friends are sick of my hour long rants on the subject of music, soooo :grin:

I love all music, but I would rather here a female. I think a woman can put more heart and soul in a song. I like to get turned on to female artists that I haven't heard before. Look at the great female voices we have been able to hear in our time....

Etta, Janis, Billie, Petula, Carole King, Mahalia, Ann Wilson of Heart, Laura Nyro, Joni Mitchell, The Joy of Cooking...and the list goes on and on and on.

Batman... I disagree... Stevie Nicks, Janis Joplin and Bif Naked have great rock voices and guys like Clapton, Dylan and Ray Charles couldn't get away with singing "You Shook Me All Night Long". I figure so long as the singer sings what their voices allow (bluesy voice singing blues) then either sex works fine.

I know what you mean Annerr... listening to some of those groups from the 60's it's tough to tell if it's a guy or girl singing. Even some 70's rock had some high-pitched male singers. I say again that good music is good music no matter the gender of the singer.

:drummer: