New George Harrison Book

Sweet Jane 61

Several years since the tragic passing of former Beatle George Harrison comes a splendid new book about the talented musician. While My Guitar Gently Weeps: The Music Of George Harrison (Hal Leonard Books / $19.95) is a meticulously researched and detailed chronicle behind the Quiet Beatle’s acclaimed musical legacy. Written by esteemed British writer Simon Leng, who also penned the excellent Carlos Santana tome, Soul Sacrifice, the book offers a comprehensive essay through Harrison’s stylistic flights of musical fancy. Tracing his early rockabilly roots (Carl Perkins, Eddie Cochran, Elvis Presley) to his flirtations with Folk-Rock (Bob Dylan, The Byrds) to his groundbreaking exploration in Indian music (Ravi Shankar) to his late ’80s musical reawakening as a member of The Traveling Wilburys, this excellent book celebrates Harrison’s long and winding musical journey.

Leng’s obvious admiration for his subject doesn’t mar the book’s scope but rather enhances its readability. The author’s genuine love for his subject shines through the text, enhancing his authoritative analysis of the music. Whether you’re wanting to study the origins of Harrison’s Revolver standout, "Taxman," investigate the avant-garde textures of his late ’60s solo LP, Wonderwall, (its title cribbed decades later by Oasis), follow the litigious maze of "My Sweet Lord," examine such underrated solo albums as 33 1/3, Gone Troppo and George Harrison, or take an insider’s peek behind the making of Harrison’s last studio album Brainwashed, While My Guitar Gently Weeps: The Music Of George Harrison is a wonderful tribute to one of music’s most innovative and important artists.