avoiding the sophomore slump

Batman

Who are some bands who avoided the "sophomore slump?" (name bands who had a 2nd album as good as their first album, or better. Only applies to bands with good first albums).

Hooverphonic (A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular/Blue Wonder Power Milk)

Led Zeppelin (Led Zeppelin/Led Zeppelin II)

Jimi Hendrix (Are You Experienced?/Axis: Bold as Love)

Radiohead (Pablo Honey/The Bends)

Pavement (Slanted and Enchanted/Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain)

Weezer (The Blue Album/Pinkerton)

More recently (seeing as how this particular forum is generally for the last 25 years or so)

White Stripes

Incubus

Nickleback

Linkin Park

Alice in Chains

Soundgarden

Candlebox

Collective Soul

NIN

(scrolling through the 80's section of my ITunes library archive, I did not find one)

Would I be alone in thinking Franz Ferdinand had a decent follow up to their debut? Good kicking stuff. Normally, I dislike "New" New Wave stuff and boring Electroclash, but I couldn't help liking both albums. Same goes for Ladytron (but I won't admit that to people who know me).

I was thinking the same

also placebo - placebo/ without you i'm nothing

muse- showbiz/ origin of symetry

Probably Garbage. Personally, I didn't like their second album as much as their first, but everyone else loved it.

Me neither, first one was great, as produced by Butch Vig (Nirvana's Nevermind), but the second one, was a little more sophisticated in sound & nothing relevant to "Garbage".

Regarding: "Gorillaz having an album in between"

Wasn't that an EP, with 4 or less tracks on it, that didn't make the Clint Eastwood album?