10cc

CanAm

I've always been a big fan of the British band 10cc. It occurs to me however, that I have never seen the band or its songs mentioned on Songfacts. Perhaps it's because they were not commercially successful in North America. Although they had a number of hits in Britain, "The Things We Do For Love" and "I'm Not In Love" were the only songs to chart in North America.(As far as I know)

The four members of the band, Eric Stewart, Graham Gouldman, Lol Creme and Kevin Godley, were all multi-instrumentalists and accomplished songwriters. I've always enjoyed their strong vocals, witty and topical lyrics and catchy tunes.

I'm interested in hearing opinions (good or bad) of the band and any tidbits of information anyone may have.

Although I like almost all their tunes, my favourites are Dreadlock Holiday, The Dean & I and the cheeky Rubber Bullets. What are your favourites? Does anyone know how they came up with the band's name?

I like 10cc too, although you probably already knew that, CanAm :D

I like most of their stuff too, but favourite songs are 'The Wall Street Shuffle' with that awesome riff at the start, the beautiful 'I'm Not In Love', 'Rubber Bullets' and 'Life Is A Minestrone'.

I've heard the story before about the origins of the band name, and Snopes gives us the truth behind the urban legend ;)

Does anyone know how they came up with the band's name?

10cc is reckoned to be a measurement of the amount of sperm in the average male ejaculate. But you actually knew that already, right?

In hindsight, 10cc weren't bad, were they? As well as the tracks already mentioned, I remember one called "Donna", which I used to like as a child. Also "Art For Art's Sake" was a good one. They also did "The Things We Do For Love", but I didn't care for that one much. "Life Is A Minestrone" was a top tune though...I haven't given them much thought for many years.I should say a "Greatest Hits" collection would be something worth having.

Following the groups split, Godley & Creme continued to work together: they had a few hit singles in the UK, including the memorable "Under Your Thumb" (great video) and "Wedding Bells". Don't know if Godley & Creme were successful elsewhere though. I'm sure someone could elucidate.

10cc, I was thinking about this band earlier; they sound like Seals & Croft or Chicago to me, never really got into that genre to be honest.

Don't know if Godley & Creme were successful elsewhere though. I'm sure someone could elucidate.

In 1999, VH1 held a countdown airing the Top 100 Videos of all time. Godley & Cream's "Cry" was placed at #39, which was a major surprise, because the song never really received much air time. The video was recognized as being a technical advancement & regarded with more publicity than the song was. They were basically a "one hit wonder" here in the States.

10cc were considered very "soft" here. In hindsight, they were probably better than I thought back then. I believe I remember The album containing the 2 hits I know coming out about the time as Bob Seger's Live Bullet, and Bruce Springsteen's Thunder Road. Maybe they were just overshadowed. Within a fairly short time, the only place you'd find those particular songs was on easy listening or soft rock stations.

Thanks for all the information, Katie, Cee Cee, BF and Edna!!! :thumbsup:

It's too bad that the four members of the group were unable to put aside their personal differences and continue to collaborate and produce new material. I gather that Stewart and Gouldman are no longer on very good terms either.

I would place 10cc's Greatest Hits album on my top 20 favourite albums list.