RonJon is back!

edna

I'll reveal the Mexican side of the story now. It isn't as interesting as getting busted for booze or drugs, but it was unique.

Last Friday, I decided that we should take a trip to Tijuana. I didn't want the hassle of driving in, so we I parked on the US side and walked in.

BTW, there is nobody checking anything on the the border going "in" to Mexico. No ID's, nothing.

Coming back to the US was a different story. I only stayed in Tijuana about an hour or so. I couldn't quite figure out how to get to the checkpoint, so I asked a woman at an info desk and she said I had to cross the street and wait in line.....well, this line had to be 500 Mexican's long and at least a quarter mile.

I went to the front of the line and they confirmed I had to wait. It was about noon at the time. the line actually moved very quickly and i got to the checkpoint in about 45 minutes. While every Mexican local was getting through with no problem, I get stopped. The guard was pointing a hand held device at me and came around to my side of the line. He asked me if i was bringing in or holding anything i shouldn't be. I told him I wasn't. I just had the camera/DVD recorder that i carried in. He told me that I was showing up positive for radiation...

(Without going into the long and drawn out version of this story....I had to have a nuclear stress test a few days before vacation. Some false readings on another test, forced them to do this one. I passed and there was no problem. However, the doctor gave me a note just in case radiation remained in my system and was picked up at the airport).

So, I explain to the guard that I had this test (10 days prior to this incident). Unfortunately, I took the doctor's note out of my wallet already and didn't have it with me.

They shipped me over to another area..my family long since abandoned me. I re-explained my story and they gave me that look...you know the look...

They came out with a bigger machine and pointed it at me....the lights went crazy. After some paperwork and a few more explanations they let me go...I presume like Arlo Guthrie, somewhere my name is on file in Washington in soem filing cabinet just waiting for me to appear fully radiated again.

For the remainder of the trip I insisted on being referred to as El Hombre de Radiaccion.

I guess my reputation preceded me because I got stopped at the San Diego airport on Sunday and was detained again. This time my camera bag was in question. The took it and searched it and wiped some special cloth on it to find trace particles of who knows what...they let me go too.

:laughing: Good story ! That'll teach you . Nothing like a good grilling from your own customs agents to make you regret ever leaving the country - if only for an hour ( which could be also be construed as suspicious , although that was about long enough for me , too ) ! :D You could've blamed it on the barbequed iquana , perhaps ...

Say , I hear you can't even gamble in NJ these days , too , so what can a resident do for fun now ?! :crazy:

Welcome back , RJ !

Edited by Guest
Wanting to make Wall of Voodoo reference

Are you still shining, RonJon? :shades:

It´s good to be back home... :)

Man: Doctor, doctor, I'm having a big problem with my wife.

Doctor: What seems to be the problem?

Man: My wife thinks she's a refrigerator.

Doctor: That doesn't seem like such a big problem.

Man: But it is. She sleeps with her mouth open and the little light keeps me awake.

Ba dum dum..

In Mexico, it's now legal to buy illicit street drugs (heroin, cocaine, PCP, etc.) without being taxed, but if one tries to smuggle the stuff back home across the border... customs will step in & raid / invade / & perform a full-cavity search with or without a warrant. In light of this "get rich quick scheme" there's still the fact that it's impossible to get away with much of anything down Mexico way. :/