The greatest album ever is by........Oasis!!

RonJonSurfer

Oasis beats Beatles in best album poll

LONDON (AFP) - The debut album by Oasis, the band that best spread the Britpop craze of the 1990s, has been voted the greatest album of all time in a major music poll published.

"Definitely Maybe," which featured chart-topping hits such as "Live Forever" and "Supersonic," beat "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" by the much-loved Beatles into second place in the survey of more than 40,000 music fans.

Another Beatles album, "Revolver," came third, followed by Radiohead's "OK Computer" and a second Oasis title, "(What's the Story) Morning Glory?."

The poll to find the top 100 albums was organised by the book of "British Hit Singles and Albums" and music website NME.com, with votes coming from as far afield as New Zealand, Croatia and Colombia.

Fans were given no pre-ordained list to chose from in the survey, drawn up to celebrate 50 years of Britain's official albums chart.

David Roberts, editor of "British Hit Singles and Albums," said: "Usually these polls are full of records that people have only just bought because they are freshest in the mind.

"But this poll shows that the truly great albums always have longevity."

Only two albums in the top 20 were released in the past five years.

"Up the Bracket," the 2002 debut by drug-troubled bad boy Pete Doherty's former band The Libertines, is the newest album in 15th place.

Only two bands from the United States had an album in the best 20. Nirvana came sixth with "Nevermind" and The Strokes were 20th with "Is This It."

In seventh place was the Stone Roses' self-titled album, followed by Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of The Moon" and The Smiths' "The Queen Is Dead."

"Definitely Maybe," which cost just 85,000 pounds (158,000 dollars, 124,000 euros) to produce, was released on August 30, 1994 and debuted at the top of the British chart a week later, with seven million copies selling worldwide.

Interesting...I wouldn't have expected Definitely Maybe to beat (What's The Story) Morning Glory in a poll, but then again Noel Gallagher always said that Definitely Maybe was their best album. On the other hand, why would I listen the opinions of one of the Gallagher brothers?

1. Definitely Maybe

2. Sgt. Peppers

3. Revolver

4. OK Computer

5. (What's the Story) Morning Glory?

6. Nevermind

7. The Stone Roses

8. Dark Side of the Moon

9. The Queen is Dead

Silly gooses! This is the real top 9 best albums ever

1. Jimi Hendrix - Axis: Bold As Love

2. Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland

3. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

4. Nick Drake - Pink Moon

5. Queen - Queen II

6. Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced?

7. The Chieftains - Live!

8. Pink Floyd - Meddle

9. Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible

Technically, there is only one White album by the Beatles; so that makes it unique. One of a kind.

The White album contains well written and well performed songs. In that context; it is not unique.

But "the best of ..." anything would usually be ascribed to that which knowledgable individuals agree, in the largest percentage, to be considered "the best." Due to that agreement format, "unique" could be used to describe the winning piece, but not the collective vote. In terms of the vote, the LEAST unique would be the winner.

It may have been a badly picked sample... perhaps from a small area and covering only a certain age group. But just the fact that I wouldn't have ordinarily expected Definitely Maybe to have topped such a list lets me believe that these people actually DID conduct some sort of a survey and this actually WAS the end result. That is what I mean by unique.

Now the ex-thread about Kurt Cobain being found to be the most idolised rockstar. I find that cliched. Not a unique answer. Not the right answer either.