eurovision "monsters"

invisible_r

Ok, I realise that most people are not interested, and normally, I'm not interested either, but I had nothing better to do tonight so I went to friend's house to watch the eurovision song contest. apart from the usual bubble gum pop and ballads, there was a metal band representing finland, dressed in freaky clothes ( abit like freddy krueger I guess)

and they won! it's the most hilarious thing ever!

eurovision homepage

here's the story from the nme

Monster rock band win Eurovision

Finland celebrate with the contest's strangest ever winners

A Finnish metal band who dress as monsters have won the Eurovision Song Contest tonight (May 20).

Lordi triumphed in this year's contest with song 'Hard Rock Halleljah', breaking with Eurovision's usual diet of conventional pop.

The "horror rock" group collected 292 points in the telephone vote, to take the 2006 prize. Russia came second at the ceremony held in Athens, Greece, earning 248 points for Dima Bilan's 'Never Let You Go'.

"We are a rock band and we just won Eurovision - that's weird," the Finnish band's frontman, also named Lordi, told BBC News. "This was a victory for rock music and also a victory for open-mindedness."

The UK, represented by Daz Sampson, came 19th out of 24 countries with 'Teenage Life'.

Lordi's success means Finland will now host the 2007 contest.

yeah, i liked it too. some of us liked it last night, but some were really put off by the masks, it was so funny how they were reacting to it!

and they were quite upset that the greek diva did not do well, which I found very funny too, as she is such a diva, the biggest star in greece but she only managed 9 in eurovision!

I've just been watching a replay of the contest. I really liked the band that one too - kinda like a twisted, decaying, Finnish version of Kiss.

Some of the entries though...I laughed til I cried during Latvia's performance and was it Lithuania who sang 'We Are The Winners'?? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

We used to watch Eurovision with the friends in the seventies/eighties. It was so funny, we would get together some ten people or more, get things to eat, drink, smoke, etc. and make our bets and everything. All of us were musicians, painters, designers and people from the music scene and actually, we watched it as something that made us laugh... and also made sharp comments about it.

I really loved the "Waterloo" Eurovision back in 1974... :)

i love eurovision - it's so gloriously tacky! lordy kicked a$$!! lithuania were hilarious too! so delighted they both did well!

spain had the worst song with their 'un bloody mary, por favor', malta performed the worst being painfully out of tune for the whole thing and the russian entry was terrible!!! really creepy! can't believe it did so well! was fairly proud of brian kennedy for ireland - he did very well and we don't have to qualify next year!

for my eurovision experience, we went to see ardal o' hanlon doing standup, the guy who played fr dougal maguire in fr ted, and after much pleading he actually sang 'my lovely horse' for us, for that night that was in it! will only mean anything to fr ted fans!