The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten Facts

"Don't Let Me Get Me"

Pink

Written by Pink and Dallas Austin.

A track of "Missundaztood", the artist's second album, released in 2001.

Also released as a maxi single -the second from the album- in February 2002 making #8 in the US charts, #20 in Canada and #6 in the UK.

The lyrics of the song compare her to "damn" Britney Spears... she says she might not be as pretty as her but... "that just ain't me".

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Man That Got Away, The"

Judy Garland

Written by Harold Arlen and Ira Gershwin in 1953.

A track of the movie "A Star Is Born" by George Cukor.

It's the most famous version of the song.

It was covered by many performers, Rufus Wainwright or Frank Sinatra among them...

Judy Garland sings the song in one continuous shot, something unusual in movies.

"Man That Got Away, The"

Judy Garland

Written by Harold Arlen and Ira Gershwin in 1953.

A track of the movie "A Star Is Born" by George Cukor.

It's the most famous version of the song.

It was covered by many performers, Rufus Wainwright or Frank Sinatra among them...

Judy Garland sings the song in one continuous shot, something unusual in movies.

Label credits "Orchestra under the direction of Ray Heindorf"...

Was re-released in the US in 1974 on the Casablanca label as a "Tonight" show tie-in...

"Don't Let Me Get Me"

Pink

Written by Pink and Dallas Austin.

A track of "Missundaztood", the artist's second album, released in 2001.

Also released as a maxi single -the second from the album- in February 2002 making #8 in the US charts, #20 in Canada and #6 in the UK.

The lyrics of the song compare her to "damn" Britney Spears... she says she might not be as pretty as her but... "that just ain't me".

This was one of the very first songs that Pink wrote mostly by herself, with help from co-producer Dallas Austin.

This song is about the angst of growing up from being a teen to early adulthood and about finding yourself for who you really are, instead of impressing others with an image of false identity and sense of pretentiousness.

Legendary rock producer Marti Frederiksen plays the guitar solo, as well as bass and drums. He also engineered much of the album Missundaztood and produced a few of the other tracks.

"Despite Pink's audacious claim that she's not as pretty as "damn Britney Spears," celebrity anxiety takes a backseat to a credible personal pain rooted in credible family travails, a pain held at bay by expression." - MSN Entertainment

I wrote the first 2 paragraphs, you can take it or leave it, or modify it. It's based on what I've known about the song.

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #336

This week there is 2(two) songs needing facts.

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #336

1. Get Up (Sex Machine) - James Brown (1970)

2. Misery - Soul Asylum (1995)

If you have any info on any of the songs mentioned anywhere in this thread, please feel free to post your knowledge here. Submissions on songs will be collated and sent to the main site and you will receive credit for your contribution.

As always the Songfish thanks you

:guitar: :drummer: :rock:

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #337

This week there is 5(five) songs needing facts.

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #337

1. 16 Candles - The Crests - (1958)

2. Rock And Roll Music – The Beatles (1965)

3. Into The Fire - Dokken (1984)

4. Hold Me Tight – Johnny Nash (1968)

5. Summer - War (1976)

If you have any info on any of the songs mentioned anywhere in this thread, please feel free to post your knowledge here. Submissions on songs will be collated and sent to the main site and you will receive credit for your contribution.

"Get Up (I Feel Like Being A Sex Machine)"

James Brown

Written by James Brown, Bobby Byrd and Ron Lenhoff.

Racorded on April 25th 1970.

Released on July 1970 with "Get Up I Feel Like Being Like a Sex Machine (Part 2)" as the B-side.

Bobby Byrd does backing vocals. It was a two-part single and it reacheds #2 in the R&B charts and #15 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Recorded with Brown's new band, The J.B.'s. Bootsy Collins, Catfish Collins and Jabo Starks play bass, guitar and drums.

"Misery"

Soul Asylum (1995)

Written by Dave Pirner.

A track from their June 1995 LP, "Let Your Dim Light Shine".

A single released in 1995, it made #1 in the Modern Rock Tracks list and #20 on Billboard Hot 100. Also #3 in the Canadian Singles Chart.

It was released on CD and cassette.

"16 Candles"

The Crests

Written by Luther Dixon-Allyson R. Khent.

The single, B-sided by "Beside You", was

released in 1958.

In 1959 it went up to #2 on Billboard Hot 100 and #4 on the R&B chart.

It was covered by the Jackson 5 and the Stray Cats. The original version appears in the soundtrack of "American Graffitti".

"Hold Me Tight"

Johnny Nash

Written by Johnny Nash.

Released as a track of his album "Hold Me Tight" and also as a single, both in 1968, B-sided by "Cupid".

The record label was JAD, formed in 1965 by Johnny Nash and Danny Sims while he lived in NYC.

It made #1 in the Canadian lists, #5 in the US Pop Singles Chart and #22 in the US R&B charts, as well as #5 in the UK lists.

"Summer"

War

Written by B.B. Dickerson / Charles Miller / Harold Brown / Jerry Goldstein / Lonnie Jordan / Thomas Allen.

Also included in their 1976 album "Greatest Hits".

The single, B-sided by "All day Music", made #1 on Billboard Hot 100 Adult Contemporary chart; #4 on the Hot Black Singles list and #7 on Billboard Hot 100.

War keyboardist Lonnie Jordan was noodling at a piano during a recording session when he came up with the smooth beginnings of the June-August ode "Summer." Producer Jerry Goldstein reflected on his summers in Brooklyn along with the rest of War...the lushly lazy, hazy "Summer" slid to number four R&B, number seven pop, and number one adult contemporary during the summer of 1976.

"Get Up (I Feel Like Being A Sex Machine)"

James Brown

Written by James Brown, Bobby Byrd and Ron Lenhoff.

Racorded on April 25th 1970.

Released on July 1970 with "Get Up I Feel Like Being Like a Sex Machine (Part 2)" as the B-side.

Bobby Byrd does backing vocals. It was a two-part single and it reacheds #2 in the R&B charts and #15 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Recorded with Brown's new band, The J.B.'s. Bootsy Collins, Catfish Collins and Jabo Starks play bass, guitar and drums.

Single reached #32 in the UK chart :sing1:

"Hold Me Tight"

Johnny Nash

Written by Johnny Nash.

Released as a track of his album "Hold Me Tight" and also as a single, both in 1968, B-sided by "Cupid".

The record label was JAD, formed in 1965 by Johnny Nash and Danny Sims while he lived in NYC.

It made #1 in the Canadian lists, #5 in the US Pop Singles Chart and #22 in the US R&B charts, as well as #5 in the UK lists.

Single also made #6 in Rhodesia, #10 in New Zealand, #12 in Holland. :sing1:

Edna's Personal Top 10 #3

This time there is 5(five) songs needing facts.

Edna's Personal Top 10 #3

1. It's A Shame - The Spinners (1970)

2. (I Was) Born To Cry - Dion (1965)

3. Picture This - Blondie (1979)

4. Till It Shines - Bob Seger And The Silver Bullet Band (1978)

5. Time - David Bowie (1973)

"It's a Shame" is a song co-written by Stevie Wonder, Syreeta Wright and Lee Garrett and produced by Wonder as a single for The Spinners on Motown's V.I.P. Records label. The single became the Detroit-reared group's biggest single on the Motown Records company since they had signed with the company in 1964 and also their biggest hit in a decade. The lineup of the Spinners include original members Pervis Jackson, Henry Fambrough, Billy Henderson and Bobby Smith and lead vocalist G.C. Cameron. The quintet recorded the single in 1970. The song, which is about a man who complains about a lover's "messin' around" on him, became a huge hit for the group reaching number-fourteen on the Billboard Hot 100 and number-three on the R&B singles chart, making it their biggest hit to date. The song was the first song Wonder produced for another act by himself. Two years later, the group would leave Motown for a contract with Atlantic Records on the advice of fellow Detroit native Aretha Franklin.

WIKI

"(I Was) Born To Cry

Dion

Written by Dion Di Muci.

It appeared as a track of his 1962 album "Lovers Who Wander" on Laurie records.

It was also released as a single B-sided by "Lovers who Wander".

It made #42 on Billboard US chart.

In 1894, Johhny Thunders covered the song for his album "Copycats" with patti palladine.