Al Green Gets ‘Em Dancing at the White House

Sweet Jane 61

By Sarah Kaufman

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, February 8, 2006

There were ballerinas and cavaliers, Broadway singers and a country crooner, but it took the Rev. Al Green to really get the party started at the White House on Monday night.

The soul man turned soul saver worked his magic on the East Room crowd, gathered to honor the Dance Theatre of Harlem and its famed founder, Arthur Mitchell.

Al Green shared a laugh with the president at the White House dinner and performance Monday by Dance Theatre of Harlem, which will air on PBS this summer.

("I-I-I-I, I'm so in love with you," Green rasped in his signature falsetto, arcing back like a bow about to launch its arrow.

Of course, there were many in the audience of 80 or so who could sing Green's enduring hit "Let's Stay Together" in their sleep. But was one of them President Bush? Green put him to the test.

"Ooh, loving you forever," Green purred, "is what I -- " Suddenly, he thrust the microphone right up to the lips of the surprised president, who recovered enough to mouth something back.

Whatever it was could not be heard, but Green was more than satisfied.

"He said 'Nee-eee-eeed!' " squealed the amazed hitmaster, hitting even higher notes than he'd been singing. "He did! He said 'Neeeeed!' " After laughter and applause for the president's grace note, the set then became a singalong -- was that Karl Rove joining in? -- and then a dance-along, after Mitchell, a former star of the New York City Ballet, pulled Laura Bush up onstage.

President Bush, apparently pumped up after parrying to Green's thrust, followed suit, taking with him Shirley Massey, wife of Walter Massey, president of Morehouse College.

"We got the president up onstage!" exclaimed Mitchell afterward. Not a man who ordinarily likes to share the spotlight, Mitchell nevertheless gave Bush points for effort, if not for style. "He did really well," Mitchell said. "He was tapping his foot, and . . . moving. You know."

Of course, there were many in the audience of 80 or so who could sing Green's enduring hit "Let's Stay Together" in their sleep. But was one of them President Bush? Green put him to the test.

"Ooh, loving you forever," Green purred, "is what I -- " Suddenly, he thrust the microphone right up to the lips of the surprised president, who recovered enough to mouth something back

hehehe...way to go Al! :laughing: